Picked up a nice oak cabinet today!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Picked up a nice oak cabinet today!

Post by Roaring20s »

I bought a "kitchen" cabinet on Craigslist today!
Cabinet.1.png
Cabinet.1.png (549.05 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
It's tall and has three shelves, 40" tall x 21" wide x 16" deep. A sturdy oak cabinet and nearly ready for refinishing!

I am glad the record slat are gone, as I prefer binders.
Cabinet.3.png
But the cabinet gods are cruel as they are kind.
A 12" binder will only slide into the bottom shelf, but the door can't close. That's ok, the door closes with a 10" binder. :|
The shelf supports on the top shelf interfere with a 10" binder on the second shelf. :roll:
Still very lovable! ;) All four sides are are finished and the interior has great detail. A nice piece of furniture to hold a phonograph.
Cabinet.2.png
Cabinet.4.png
Anyone have and clue as to a manufacturer?

James.

Garret
Victor IV

Re: Picked up a nice oak cabinet today!

Post by Garret »

Glad you rescued it! The poor cabinet needs a full refinish; from the odd blanched color and the splotches on the inside, it's clear someone subjected it to the dip and strip treatment.

Garret

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Garret wrote:Glad you rescued it! Garret
It has a beautiful form and it's solid oak. That made it an easy buy. :coffee:

I have been searching for a two panel, single door style. I found this 1906 Salter ad for model 705.
Other companies must have made similar styles too.
1906.png
I thought the needle cups would lead to a specific maker, but that proved harder to find images.

James.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

That's cool. Despite the dip and strip -- which might have been necessary due to a previous owner's misuse of an "antiquing kit," I believe you have a cabinet that will look beautiful when completed. Be sure to share some pix when it's done.
Best regards ... AZ*

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

One of my favorite cabinets...
Attachments
DSC04776.JPG
DSC04775.JPG
DSC04774.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V

Post by Roaring20s »

AZ*, it will be a while before it is worked on, but I will share photos when done.

Nice pattern on the doors, Jerry. I see you have needle cups with the swing-out discard on the bottom. That's different than mine. You have the same shelf proportions; 10", 10" and 12". The illustration in the ad is drawn with the top shelf smaller for 7" or 8" discs - I'm guessing.

Thanks for the input and photos!
James.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Nice find, James. These are great cabinets for sure. Since I don't have a lot of records mine serves as storage for lids, horns, whatever I can stuff in it! My Vic D is quite happy to sit on top. I have 2 holes in the door where the needle holder once was. I would like to find the right one someday. Also I see mine is hinged on the right side. I guess they offered right and left handed?? Joe
Attachments
IMG_0119.JPG