My First Victor Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

My First Victor Phonograph

Post by audiophile102 »

I found this mahagony Victor vv-IX in Bloomington Illinois. It was a two hour drive, but the seller seemed motivated and I was hoping to get him to drop his $275 listed price. I was successful and I'm delighted with my purchase. The inside of the cabinet door has a maker label, Pooley Record cabinet Philadelphia, USA. I had to replace the rubber flange behind the reproducer along with the gaskets and it plays great. The springs need to be re-greased and I will work on that in the coming weeks. The cabinet was very dirty when I bought it. I found the cabinet key in the bottom of the cabinet all the way in the back and I had to fish it out with a coat hanger. The pictures are from the sellers listing, so it looks better now. I have never serviced a Victor IX so if you have a link for instructions or video, please share it. Click on the photo to enlarge.
ContactSheet-001.jpg
Last edited by audiophile102 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: My First Victor Phonograph

Post by barnettrp21122 »

That's a very nice-looking outfit! I'd suspect these two pieces have been together from the start!
Victor products are wonderful!
Enjoy the music!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

VERY NICE!!! Congrats. This was the model of my first table top phonograph. It didn't come with the base cabinet. Those are pretty scarce especially in the condition you found yours.
Enjoy :D :D :D
Ken Brekke

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Very nice outfit. I've always liked the matching record cabinets where the machine slides in from the back. Your Victrola and record cabinet look like they have been together since new.

Congratulations, Jerry Blais

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congratulations, that's a beautiful Victrola set right there!

Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Great way to start with Victors. A mahogany VV IX was my very first phono back in 1968.

I am sure you will enjoy it. :P
Best regards ... AZ*

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

It was my first machine too, in 1961.

But I wasn't lucky enough to find it with matching original cabinet, and looking to be in great condition!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

If I had the room and wanted a nice cabinet Victor I would have paid the $275 without even haggling. You got a sweet deal, especially with the original key waiting as a nice surprise down in the cabinet. The IX is underappreciated but, like all Victors, is both tuneful and reliable. Wish I had room for one, especially as nice as yours!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I successfully took apart my IX motor which had never been serviced. The springs bumped hard and the motor grease was in need of replacement. I posted the motor servicing in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum with lots of pictures. Be sure to check it out. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 14#p236214
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."