Conversion of Radio Music Master Horn to Edison Cygnet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
BigC
Victor I

Re: Conversion of Radio Music Master Horn to Edison Cygnet

Post by BigC »

Here is the link for the mount:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285534386617?m ... media=COPY
I am trying to do the same thing and have been unsuccessful at balancing the radio horn on the phonograph. If you look at a cygnet horn and a radio horn they are actually very different. The radio horn has a lot of its weight towards the front and faces forward like a concert horn. The cygnet is more centered and is slightly slanted upward. Anyway I've still been unable to properly mount it so I'm making a custom crane to help balance it out. I have a lot of time and love to tinker with stuff so I don't mind.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I have Eduardo's Cygnet horns in stock, complete with hanger hardware and end ring, and wood-grained elbows as well.
1-IMG-9642.jpg
Raphael
Attachments
1-IMG-9594.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

BigC wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:36 pm Here is the link for the mount:
I am trying to do the same thing and have been unsuccessful at balancing the radio horn on the phonograph. If you look at a cygnet horn and a radio horn they are actually very different. The radio horn has a lot of its weight towards the front and faces forward like a concert horn. The cygnet is more centered and is slightly slanted upward. Anyway I've still been unable to properly mount it so I'm making a custom crane to help balance it out. I have a lot of time and love to tinker with stuff so I don't mind.
You can't use the radio horn as-is, as you've discovered. You need to couple the radio horn bell with the phonograph cygnet elbow. The problem, apparently, is obtaining the proper ring that will fit both the wood radio bell and couple to the phonograph cygnet elbow.

Or... is the radio horn bell longer than the phonograph horn bell??

danohallaron
Victor O

Post by danohallaron »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:11 pm
BigC wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:36 pm Here is the link for the mount:
You can't use the radio horn as-is, as you've discovered. You need to couple the radio horn bell with the phonograph cygnet elbow. The problem, apparently, is obtaining the proper ring that will fit both the wood radio bell and couple to the phonograph cygnet elbow.

Or... is the radio horn bell longer than the phonograph horn bell??
It has been an interesting project. I slid the radio bell inside an Edison MM bell and it fit like a glove (see attached photo of radio horn inside Edison horn).

I have an Edison MM so I tried the Edison MM ring on the Radio horn (after removing its ring). The Edison ring is identical on at the larger end, but is about 1/16" too narrow on the small end. So it would appear that the angles are slightly different. The Edison ring "almost" fits with some persuasion, which is probably not a great idea. Maybe the small end can be taken slightly down. Idk. But they appear to be very close, other than the small end.

I'm not sure what direction I will go in next. There is no indication that a replacement ring is out there. And I can't use a conversion (even if I could find one) as it turns out, because my radio ring has been soldered or welded to the cast iron radio elbow.

My thought is that this would be a better conversion for an Opera, than a Triumph. So I'm in no hurry to put a hanger on it as an Opera is on my shopping list.
Attachments
20240317_170108.jpg
Last edited by danohallaron on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danohallaron
Victor O

Post by danohallaron »

Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:19 am I have Eduardo's Cygnet horns in stock, complete with hanger hardware and end ring, and wood-grained elbows as well. 1-IMG-9642.jpg

Raphael
They are beautiful Horns. I may well be a future customer, given my desire for several more wood horns with not much out there. Eduardo does have repro Edison MM rings.