Help for origins of this talking machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bwffxi
Victor Jr

Help for origins of this talking machine

Post by Bwffxi »

Hello everyone, I am new here and I am hoping for some help. After extensive research I have still not been able to fond information on the origins and history of this gramophone that I have had for the past 20 years. It still plays well but the disc is not in the best of condition. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Image
Attachments
IMG_4055.png
IMG_4056.png
IMG_4037.jpeg
IMG_4035.jpeg
IMG_4036.jpeg
IMG_4008.jpeg
IMG_4006.jpeg

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Help for origins of this talking machine

Post by Roaring20s »

Bwffxi
Victor Jr

Post by Bwffxi »

Thank you very much James, i was hoping for more specific details of the model I have. In first picture you showed me, the one on the top looks really similar.
Maybe it is too old of a machine or not common enough to have more information? I am probably looking for a needle in a haystack with this lol

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

"...the disc is not in the best of condition." Have you been changing the needle with every play? Steel needles are good for one play only. If you've been playing that record for 20 years with the same needle, that would explain the wear.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

drh wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm "...the disc is not in the best of condition." Have you been changing the needle with every play? Steel needles are good for one play only. If you've been playing that record for 20 years with the same needle, that would explain the wear.
Also, what are you using for a needle? What's shown in your picture does not really resemble a proper phonograph needle.

Bwffxi
Victor Jr

Post by Bwffxi »

Thank you for your help everyone. Although yhe needle and the quality pf the musin wasn’t my question I do appreciate the insight. I will try to seek out a professional appraisers help. Thanks again.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"I will try to seek out a professional appraisers help."

What do you need an appraisal for - value, or information? The value is less than $500...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

"... a professional appraiser's help"

If value is what you're ultimately trying to establish, it's very possible that a professional appraisal will cost you more than the value of the machine. It's also a near guarantee that they will know less about the machine than those of us here. In all fairness to those who have tried to help you, your pictures are terrible. Try posting a few shots of the whole machine, not just close ups of details. Since this is apparently of European manufacture, you may also try posting your questions in the "British & European Machines" heading, viewforum.php?f=11

Best of luck in your search.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

It's a European/British off-brand machine common of the 1915-1930 period. A professional appraisal is going to cost more than its overall value, outside retail it would be around $250 US. (Even in a retail setting it'd be less than $500.)

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

I think the origin of the machine is here

Coordinates: 46°49′N 06°30′E

Motor made by Mermod Frères.

Sorry, but a fairly common tabletop machine. As another contributor alluded to, an appraiser may charge a large part of the value of the machine.