Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Governor Flyball
Victor II

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by Governor Flyball »

In the1939 film Intermezzo, starring Leslie Howard and Ingrid Bergman, there is a scene where Miss Bergman plays the theme from the film on what appears to be a model 500 Capehart. The recording was made available on Victor recorded by Toscha Seidel.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Here’s a screenshot from “All in the Family” when Archie was locked in the cellar. In addition to the garden- variety Victrola in the screenshot, and his exasperated comment “why does she keep all this crap-ola down here!” its a wonderful and classic episode.

Steven
Attachments
IMG_1480.jpeg

daverob
Victor I

Post by daverob »

fran604g wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:04 pm I don't know if this has been posted in the thread yet, but even if it has this is really cool.

"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" features an actual Berliner (Improved?) Gramophone being used by the arch-villian Professor Moriarty. The first shot of it clearly shows what I believe to be the proper sound box, and it's even used to play a record. I'm not entirely sure it was a Berliner record, but it sounded to me as if they captured the actual machine playing "Die Forelle".

https://youtu.be/ppccrPqOqHI

At any rate, one of the best illustrations of an actual talking machine I've seen used as a prop in any show.
I was going to mention this one because it was one of like 5 near anachronisms in the movie. Like one of the songs, and I think the movie date predated the trademark featured by a couple of years.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

What appears to be a Sonora machine in the 1977 film “The Worm Eaters” (very strange film)
Attachments
IMG_0283.jpeg

PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Post by PeteLeoni »

Isn't that a giant EMG machine in Harry Potter dance scene?

Warren
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Warren

Post by Warren »

Dod Edison make an Electric Standard Cylinder Phonograph? I was watching. My Fair Lady the Rex Harrison version and noticed an Edison Standard on his desk. A close up of that phonograph has an electric cable coming out of the back of it? So was there an electric model standard or is this something else?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Warren wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:05 pm Dod Edison make an Electric Standard Cylinder Phonograph? I was watching. My Fair Lady the Rex Harrison version and noticed an Edison Standard on his desk. A close up of that phonograph has an electric cable coming out of the back of it? So was there an electric model standard or is this something else?
Was it maybe an Edison Business phonograph, (a.k.a. dictating machine)? They were "Standard" sized and electric.

PhonoPhotoGuy
Victor Jr

Post by PhonoPhotoGuy »

Just came across this phonograph in a movie....Conchita Montenegro in the 1931 film The Cisco Kid..
Attachments
IMG_4847.jpg

oceanlinerfanatic
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Just a teen who loves Phonographs

Post by oceanlinerfanatic »

Anyone see that scene in Schindlers list with a windup phonograph used to lure out kids so that they can be taken away to Auschwitz?

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

There was a Movie in 1920 ("Dangerous to Men") which not only had a disc phonograph but also displayed (on it) a dancing 'Ragtime Rastus'! The problem is that the film has been lost and the "still" or Lobby Card with this scene has not yet surfaced.

Allen