Orthophonic head position

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shawnmex
Victor Jr

Orthophonic head position

Post by Shawnmex »

I am new to the phonograph hobby and was wondering. Can I rotate the soundbox to essentially extend the needle? Or is there a perfect degree the needle has to be at to function properly. The problem I'm having is sometimes the needle will just miss the surface of the record. Currently I've "solved" this issue by placing felt under the motorboard to elevate the whole assembly and bring it closer to the needle. Thanks for all your insight so for this has been a really fun project and I hope to get some pics up here in the near future. Thanks again!
Shawn

MarkELynch
Victor II

Re: Orthophonic head position

Post by MarkELynch »

Hi Shawn,

First check that no this is binding and that the soundbox is full inserted. Here is a page from the User’s Manual for the earliest spring wound Orthophonic machine. They specify a 68 degree angle between the needle and the record surface. Post some photos if this instruction doesn’t solve the problem. There are a few other possibilities.

Mark
IMG_0002.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Orthophonic head position

Post by JerryVan »

It seems that maybe this joint is sticking. Not uncommon. The larger ring at this joint is a nut that you can remove, which allows you to seperate the tonearm. Once seperated, clean the joint, apply some light grease, and reassemble. Adjust the joint so that there is almost no play, but no binding either. The little tab the overhangs the nut may have a setscrew in it that you have to back off first. The setscrew locks the nut in place. It's missing in this picture. It's easier really to just remove the 2 screws and take the tab off completely, (and replace it later).
Screenshot 2024-05-11 071856.png