Edison Standard Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
NateO
Victor I

Re: Edison Standard Questions

Post by NateO »

De Soto Frank wrote:Nate,

Nice acquisition ! I think you did well, getting everything for $450. The "banner" decal on the front of the machine looks to be in very nice condition !

My wife surprised me at Christmas with a two-minute Edison Standard B, with a 30" Superior Metal Co. all-brass horn, that I'd had my eye on at a local antique dealer. He was asking $300 for that outfit, and I don't imagine my wife haggled on the price.
The decal is half-gone on mine, and the cabinet finish is pretty dirty / shot, but with a little oiling and a "quickie" belt made from ½" wide theatrical "spike tape", I had it playing very nicely. It will play through 3-½ two-minute cylinders on one winding, dragging a 14 inch "witches-hat".

Regarding the horn crane: I rather like the version that clamps-onto the bottom of the case: there's a metal strap with a hook on the back end, and a sliding clamp on the front, and has a "foot" that extends forward, to prevent the machine from tipping front-wards. George Paul told me of these, saying that the originals were made by the Tea-Tray Company, a supplier of nice Japanned horns.

There is an e-bay vendor by the name of "ladanjus" (sp ?) that sells a nice repro of the TT Co. crane. This crane also has the advantage of being adjustable to fit several widths of case-bottom. ;)

That said, the floor stand might also be a good idea, I've seen a version on e-bay made-up from a modern round-base mic stand and ½" copper plumbing pipe, sweated with 45* elbows to make the "crook", and all painted black.

The only ID on my 30" "Superior" horn is stamped-into the diamond-shaped brass reinforcing plate with the loop for the chain, which is sweated to the horn.
Thanks! The decal is great, except for a small missing piece right on the "E". Is this decal covered by anything, or is it right on the surface? I want to be sure before I clean up the case.
I have come to love this massive horn, except for the space it takes up. I don't notice any marks on mine, though I don't really mind not knowing. Thank you for the recommendations on the cranes.
Nathan
- Nathan

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

phonogfp wrote:
De Soto Frank wrote:
The only ID on my 30" "Superior" horn is stamped-into the diamond-shaped brass reinforcing plate with the loop for the chain, which is sweated to the horn.
Are you sure it says "Superior?" It sounds very much like "Standard Metal Manufacturing Company." If it is truly stamped "Superior," I'd love to see a photo of the hanger, as I've never encountered that brand before. :)

George P.

George -

You're absolutely right. :oops: The diamond plate reads "Standard Metal Manufacturing Co. Newark, NJ."

Sometimes my memory double-crosses me...

;)

( Now I will have to deal with the disappointment that my horn is no longer "Superior", but only "Standard"... :roll: )

Frank
De Soto Frank

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

DeSoto Frank wrote, "There is an e-bay vendor by the name of "ladanjus" (sp ?) that sells a nice repro of the TT Co. crane."

This one, I think:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reproduction-Te ... 3385c22fcd

I have done business with this vendor (JAS Antiques), and I recommend them. Best wishes, Mark

NateO
Victor I

Post by NateO »

victorIIvictor wrote:DeSoto Frank wrote, "There is an e-bay vendor by the name of "ladanjus" (sp ?) that sells a nice repro of the TT Co. crane."

This one, I think:

I have done business with this vendor (JAS Antiques), and I recommend them. Best wishes, Mark
Thank you for the link. I'll certainly consider that as an option. I was also considering a bird cage stand.

I found my first cylinder today, and replaced the belt with a rubber band for a test. The machine and reproducer play beautifully! When I need them, cylinders are no where to be found...

Nathan
- Nathan

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

You can find 2 minute cylinders by the zillions on eBay and at phonograph shows. Just watch out for cracks and avoid moldy ones. The old Edison brown wax cylinders are notorious for molding. (Moldy ones are splotchy.) The black wax ones have that problem much less often.

So you don't break your first few like I did, beware that the wax cylinders, unlike the later Amberols and other celluloid ones, are fragile. If you use much pressure when putting them on the mandrel, they will shatter. And it is a good idea not to leave them on the mandrel when you are not playing them, as they can also break from expansion of the mandrel with temperature changes.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

NateO wrote:
victorIIvictor wrote:DeSoto Frank wrote, "There is an e-bay vendor by the name of "ladanjus" (sp ?) that sells a nice repro of the TT Co. crane."

This one, I think:

Thank you for the link. I'll certainly consider that as an option. I was also considering a bird cage stand.

I found my first cylinder today, and replaced the belt with a rubber band for a test. The machine and reproducer play beautifully! When I need them, cylinders are no where to be found...

Nathan
Hi Nate,

FYI, that is the exact replica crane and seller that I mentioned in my earlier post on page 2:
fran604g wrote:I have a TTCo. repro crane (front mount) on my Green Oak Home A and the 30" Brass horn I have is heavy enough to make the whole thing slightly unstable enough to concern me a little. I can't imagine the same setup on my Standard A 4 latch giving me confidence enough to do this. Fran

I am very happy with the quality and the price of it. However, I wouldn't want to see you buy that and have the machine tip over. I honestly think your horn is too heavy for it. I agree with your idea of using a floor crane, better safe than sorry!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

De Soto Frank wrote:
phonogfp wrote:
De Soto Frank wrote:
Are you sure it says "Superior?" It sounds very much like "Standard Metal Manufacturing Company." If it is truly stamped "Superior," I'd love to see a photo of the hanger, as I've never encountered that brand before. :)

George P.

George -

You're absolutely right. :oops: The diamond plate reads "Standard Metal Manufacturing Co. Newark, NJ."

Sometimes my memory double-crosses me...

;)

( Now I will have to deal with the disappointment that my horn is no longer "Superior", but only "Standard"... :roll: )

Frank
Darn it! I was hoping to learn of a new horn manufacturer! :( Thanks for checking.

I agree that a 36-inch horn is too large for any cabinet-mounted crane. Use a floor stand!

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

NateO wrote: Thank you for the link. I'll certainly consider that as an option. I was also considering a bird cage stand.

Nathan
A bird cage stand is pretty good, too: I adapted one for my AT (and it will serve for my BF, once I get it finished)…

Bill

NateO
Victor I

Post by NateO »

Thanks again to everyone for the help! I am grateful for all the advice.
I keep my machines on high surfaces for easy access (I'm 6'6"), so the bird cage stand won't work. I've decided to make my own out of copper pipe, and mount it to the table the machine is on. It won't be pretty, but it will work.
Now I just have to build up a cylinder collection :)

Nathan
- Nathan