My New Edison A-100

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: My New Edison A-100

Post by FloridaClay »

Many mahogany phonograph cases were stunning when they were new. Often the better ones had a filled-grain, glass-like "piano" finish that gives amazing depth and grain highlights. I had one of my Edison DDs (whose original finish was beyond hope) fully restored and it is the one that often stops visitors in their tracks with a “WOW” at the beauty of the wood.

Sadly the varnish turns black, and sometimes bubbles, over the years and the grain of the mahogany just disappears. Even a good cleaning will not bring back the beautiful depth to the finish. When people see them now they wonder why anybody would have bought such an ugly thing. Bringing them back to their original splendor is a real chore (and an expensive one if, like me, you don't have your own shop). The beauty of the oak finishes, apart from personal preference as to which wood you like, it that they often look nice with just a good cleaning. Even the darkening of the varnish can impart a rich brown tone that, while far from the original, is still attractive and the grain pattern of quarter-sawn oak is so strong it will still show through.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Congrats! My first Diamond Disc player was an A-100 in nice condition overall, but mine didn't have a speed knob/control above the bedplate and she always seemed to be running a bit slow. So I sold it and moved on. But I'm a sentimentalist like so many on here: we never forget our "exes."

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Funny you should say this... I picked up a complete Edison A-150 last year that I yet to restore. The original Mahoghany finish has turned a putrid Black. Any suggestions on stripping...of which I am going to do.. Should I just clean the whole thing with Cotton cleanser or (GoJO), and then lightly sand down to the original wood?

Suggestions?

Tony K.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I would never strip an otherwise complete original finish. It might take some elbow grease, but several rounds with Cotton Cleanser, GoJo or similar and 0000 steel wool should return it to a presentable state. If you're still not happy with the result you could follow up with Howard's Restore-a-Finish and 0000 steel wool, always going with the wood grain. You can never restore original, so stripping should be a very last resort.
Good luck
Andreas

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Finally got the spring put into the A100 and put it back together. Greased and oiled the motor and now it now looks and runs great!

You can view it playing on YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBXAHWAXn34

Had to borrow a reproducer from another machine, the nickel plated one for this machine is off for repairs.

I'm very happy! This is fun!

CDB
Attachments
tn-500_EdA100_TT-001.JPG
tn-500_EdA100_TT-001.JPG (104.08 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Congrats on a lovely result!

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Sounds fine! Green Brothers records are perfect for demonstrations; always peppy & those clattering xylophones make a big impression.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Congrats! Yes, it is really rewarding when things come together!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Nice machine and great video. Now that I saw the bed plate, your machine is from about 1915. Black bed plates with gold stripes and diamond shaped oiling instructions are the earmark of an early machine. Congrats on it.
Harvey Kravitz

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

A fellow phonograph enthusiast has raised a question regarding the light colored decorative 'buttons' on the grill. Seems all the machines you see today show the buttons the same color as the surrounding wood. Looking at the picture of an A100 in the Frow book, it shows (in black and white) the decorative buttons to be a lighter color than the rest of the wood, so I suspect this lighter color is original to this machine. Mr Kravitz suggested this machine is an early production A100. Is it possible later machines did not color these buttons? Are there any other grills with light colored buttons?

Thanks! CDB
Attachments
tn-600_EdA100_Cabinet_Grill_Det001.JPG
tn-600_EdA100_Cabinet_Grill_Det001.JPG (123.78 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8