Victor XXV Schoolhouse on Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kid amberola
Victor Jr

Re: Victor XXV Schoolhouse on Ebay

Post by kid amberola »

Well here goes my first post as the "new" kid here. This Victor XXV is owned by the former owner of the East State Street Antique mall in Rockford IL. As I live close to Rockford I've seen this machine quite a bit at the old mall, then called Mall #2. The extrusion is indeed wood without a bearing surface for the crank to rub against. He is asking what was originally the price when it was in the mall. To put it nicely he has more money than knowledge when it comes to antiques.

As for myself I've been interested in music and phono's since about 1969. I am in no way an "expert" as I am learning new things about these devices every day. My tastes in music are what we could call "Catholic". My first windup was a Birch portable. Soon I graduated to a Victrola #210. And the cylinder, open horn, orthophonic, etc..

I remember the Union show from when it was in tents and we walked on planks to keep from sinking in the mud.

I've enjoyed your lurking on this insightful and informative forum since it's birth, and of course it re-birth.

Thank you.

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Victor XXV Schoolhouse on Ebay

Post by Zeppy »

kid amberola wrote:Well here goes my first post as the "new" kid here. This Victor XXV is owned by the former owner of the East State Street Antique mall in Rockford IL. As I live close to Rockford I've seen this machine quite a bit at the old mall, then called Mall #2. The extrusion is indeed wood without a bearing surface for the crank to rub against. He is asking what was originally the price when it was in the mall. To put it nicely he has more money than knowledge when it comes to antiques.

As for myself I've been interested in music and phono's since about 1969. I am in no way an "expert" as I am learning new things about these devices every day. My tastes in music are what we could call "Catholic". My first windup was a Birch portable. Soon I graduated to a Victrola #210. And the cylinder, open horn, orthophonic, etc..

I remember the Union show from when it was in tents and we walked on planks to keep from sinking in the mud.

I've enjoyed your lurking on this insightful and informative forum since it's birth, and of course it re-birth.

Thank you.
Well, let me be the first to welcome you aboard. While you say you're not an expert, you've had your hand in it since before I was born (and I'm not exactly the youngest either), so it's always nice to have someone who's been at it for a while (and I'm still waiting for my first chance to hit any of the shows...another downside of collecting degrees is you never have a chance for the fun trips).

Thanks for your input about the XXV. Like many collectors, this model, and particularly this vintage of it, is on my short list of machines I must own. Personally, I think for the tinkering the machine has suffered, and the current economy, the price is a touch high (at least in my cheapskate opinion)...but perhaps one of these days, I'll find the right one.

Zep