Any good Edison Record reading suggestions.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Any good Edison Record reading suggestions.

Post by larryh »

Hi all,

I have been looking though my Edison Disc Phonographs by Frow. While its a nice book it goes very little into the issues and history of the recordings. I see references now and then to quality issues and other problems that edison faced over the years. Are there any good available books that go into the history of disc recordings?

Larry

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Re: Any good Edison Record reading suggestions.

Post by Viva-Tonal »

FROM TINFOIL TO STEREO by Read and Welch has lots of Edison-related information. Among the photos in the copy I borrowed via interlibrary loan one time was one of a DD lathe.

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Edison Blue Amberol Recordings 1912-1914 and Edison Blue Amberol Recordings 1915-1929, both by Ron Dethlefson.
http://www.mulhollandpress.com/Books.htm

Also by Ron, but out of print: "Edison Disc Artists and Records - A Compilation" Sometimes this pops up on Ebay, it's a great reference work on DD's and highly recommended.

Dave

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Thanks for those suggestions. I had the Tinfoil to Stereo book at one time and loaned it to someone who never retuned it.. The Edison Disc book sounds good, I will have to watch for that one.. Something ended on ebay a few days ago that I think was strictly a list of records by number?

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Larry,
The Edison Disc book covers the manufacturing of the discs, has photos of all the various label types that were used over the years, copies of advertising, stories about artists, photos of the plant and various depts in the plant etc.
Pretty interesting stuff i think.
Dave