Interesting Pathé Janus dual tonearm machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Interesting Pathé Janus dual tonearm machine

Post by alang »

I saw (and missed) on German eBay this interesting Pathé Janus dual tonearm machine. It has tonearms for both lateral and vertical records. I think it's probably from the late teens or early twenties when they started the transition from vertical to lateral. I've seen Pathé reproducer adaptors, but never seen this machine before, so I thought I'd share with the forum.

In Roman mythology Janus is the god of beginnings and transitions who is always depicted with the dual heads looking to past and future. The month of January was named after this god.
Capture.JPG
$(KGrHqF,!hEF!jz1s5h7BQTE9nhTTw~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqF,!hEF!jz1s5h7BQTE9nhTTw~~60_12.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 731 times
$T2eC16d,!)cE9s4Pu,IlBQTE9UYlwQ~~60_12.jpg
$T2eC16d,!)cE9s4Pu,IlBQTE9UYlwQ~~60_12.jpg (46.78 KiB) Viewed 731 times
$T2eC16R,!zcE9s4g3JD,BQTE9Wcvuw~~60_12.jpg
$T2eC16R,!zcE9s4g3JD,BQTE9Wcvuw~~60_12.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Thanks
Andreas

m0xiemama
Victor II

Re: Interesting Pathé Janus dual tonearm machine

Post by m0xiemama »

That is really neat. Thanks for sharing! I'm curious, would adjustments have to be made having the tonearm on the other side? Seems like it would prgress differently or maybe I am just thinking of it wrong.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Interesting Pathé Janus dual tonearm machine

Post by estott »

Neither of the arms is on the wrong side. You use the lateral arm in the usual way, when you use the vertical arm you just swing it to the right and put the stylus at about the 12:00 position on the turntable. The orientation is all in how you look at it, as long as the record revolves clockwise and comes from under the stylus it will work.