Sidewalks of New York 1895 Berliner Record

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
solophoneman
Victor II

Sidewalks of New York 1895 Berliner Record

Post by solophoneman »

Ok, here is one more Berliner? From October of 1895. I assume this has to be a Berliner, even though it does not have the typical stamp at the top. Instead, this one in very light writing says only "Pat'd October 25, 1895" and other patents. The same month as the recording. The number on the record is 959Z. The Z represents a code that means this record is the first 'remake" of Berliner Cataloged record number 959.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEb-HHIcn0

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: Sidewalks of New York 1895 Berliner Record

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

This very old rendition of "Sidewalks of New York" is indeed fascinating. I'm sure you'll like the comment I left you on Youtube. :lol:

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

solophoneman wrote:I assume this has to be a Berliner, even though it does not have the typical stamp at the top.
Was this perhaps another ‘pirated’ Zonophone record?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Fascinating. I wiki'ed the song, and it seems the tune was only a year old when this rendition was recorded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sidewalks_of_New_York

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

MordEth wrote:
solophoneman wrote:I assume this has to be a Berliner, even though it does not have the typical stamp at the top.
Was this perhaps another ‘pirated’ Zonophone record?

— MordEth

No, a few of the later 1895 pressings didn't use the typical typefaces. I have a couple of these (including "Sidewalks of New York"). By the time Seaman was copying Berliner pressings (see my posting under "As Long As We're Talking About Berliners...") in late 1899-early 1900, these 1895 recordings were obsolescent. I doubt whether acceptable copies could have been made from these 1895 hard rubber stampings anyway!

George P.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

If I had one of these records I wouldn't be playing it with a steel needle on an acoustic machine either. Ouch! ;)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:If I had one of these records I wouldn't be playing it with a steel needle on an acoustic machine either. Ouch! ;)
Not unless you've got a nice crapophone to play them on :)
I made this one to play my Berliners. It's only a cardboard horn, but I made it so the soundbox is very light on the records. Obviously the steel needle does still wear the disc, but nowhere near as much as any other acoustic machine I own, and you still get that authentic Berliner sound ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjlhPJFjy0[/youtube]

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:If I had one of these records I wouldn't be playing it with a steel needle on an acoustic machine either. Ouch! ;)

Yes, but you only come this way once you know, and the fun and enjoyment of collecting these old recorded sound icons, is playing them on the authentic old machines of the past. I didn't mention to you that sometime in this records past, probably early in the 2Oth Century, somebody actually stamped an enlarged hole into several of these Berliners in order to play them on a Standard or some other gramophone with an enlarged spindle whole. So this particular one was defaced and mutilated long ago, but can still produce a good deal of fascination and enjoyment despite its circumstances.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I was wondering about the eyelet in the centre. It's something I'd expect to see on an early Columbia.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I have a Berliner disc with a second spindle hole. The second hole is about half the size of the first. I have no idea what purpose this served.

:squirrel:

Rocky