Pathé Model XII - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Pathé Model XII - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Post by CDBPDX »

Got an opportunity to acquire a very nice looking Pathé Model XII phonograph, serial number 19046. The reproducer looks good but it doesn't sound very good, but then it only has steel needles and no Pathé records to play on it. The reproducer rotates but doesn't seem to line up very well for lateral groove records. The tone arm doesn't fit securely in the internal horn attachment, not attached at all, just sitting in it.

Having never seen a real Pathé phonograph before, I'm inclined to think this machine might have some issues. Seems to wind up just fine, rotates a bit slow, but that can be adjusted I think.

Cosmetically, it is in great condition, though. Am I expecting too much?

Asking price is $300, delivered. Kind of difficult to find info on Pathé phonographs, like rarity and dating. Not like Victrolas.

Comments?

CDB
Attachments
tn-400_IMG_0256.JPG
tn-400_IMG_0256.JPG (72.83 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
tn-400_IMG_0255.JPG
tn-400_IMG_0255.JPG (90.91 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

dutchman
Victor IV

Re: Pathé Model XII - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Post by dutchman »

In my humble opinion #300 for this machine is tooooo much for a non-operational Pathé.

I would think the tone arm/pedestal problem would preclude playing any record,much less indicate the condition of the reproducer. A proper sapphire needle would also be required. The motor speed could be a number of issues -- lubrication, governor, spring, etc. Spring work is of course $$, the arm/pedestal's pop up frequently on Ebay or are available from a number of vendor/restoration sites. I suppose these tone arms come in machine specific lengths. In fact, I have a gold colored one sitting in my parts box.

Anyway, having said all that - you never know - how much do you want to spend. But I would certainly ride the fact that the machine does not work, and get the seller adjust the selling price accordingly. Good luck

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

That tonearm is common to many of the American made Pathé phonographs, which makes it somewhat easy to find a replacement on eBay. Most of the Pathé tonearms you see on eBay also have the same problem, a broken pot metal swivel that couples the base and arm, so be careful. Too many sellers are extremely proud of their parts. I got lucky and bought a complete base/arm/head assembly for only $20, but it still needed an overhaul. Replacing the hardened rubber gaskets on this Pathé is particularly easy. Ron Sitko sells rubber tubing for that. Remove the head from the arm, use a jeweler's screwdriver to remove the tiny screw inside the diaphragm connected to the needle bar. Use the same screwdriver to carefully chip and dig out a small section of the gasket from the outside face of the reproducer. Slip the screwdriver point inside the hollow gasket and from there you may be able to yank the rest out. Remove the diaphragm and then the back gasket. Cut with scissors and trial-fit new pieces of rubber tubing inside the head to butt snugly end-to-end to form an airtight ring, and then reassemble everything in reverse order. Use the tiniest bit of beeswax to melt on top of the tiny screw to seal, using a soldering iron or heated nail. New and original Pathé sapphire needles can be found on eBay if you want to play the vertical Pathé disks.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

So what was the outcome? Were you able to get the machine?

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Decided not to buy. It had been offered for $500 for the longest time, then came down to $300, so I took a look. I don't know how rare Pathé machines are, but this is the only one I've seen offered in this area, actually the only one I've ever seen (I've led a sheltered life). My instinct was to not buy, just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up an incredibly rare machine. Thanks for the input! I don't feel at all bad about passing on this one.

CDB
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8