Mikiphone on Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
saxymojo
Victor II

Mikiphone on Ebay

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
This is a really nice example, but a bit pricey don't you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0303014830

Marcel

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Mikiphone on Ebay

Post by WDC »

It's a very nice example, I have to admit. But the price way beyond any reasonable range, it's still well over 1.000 EUR, plus shipping. The condition appears to be really nice and desirable and the leather case makes it quite interesting.
If you see one for sale be sure that you don't get a reproduction resonator sold as an old one. I haven't had the chance to compare them, so I cannot tell you what to look after.

Anyway, a Mikiphone is only best used for decoration purposes, because the primitive motor (and its governor) makes it usually sounding terrible.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Wow. That appears to be in absolutely amazing condition, but the price...ouch.

Think it’ll sell for $1,450 in the next 12 hours?

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #290303014830

MIKIPHONE Portable Phonograph + CASE and Winding KEY

Up for bid is vintage Mikiphone pocket sized 78 rpm Swiss-Made phonograph which operates by winding a spring.

This completely non-electric device, although 80 years old, is in good condition and works, the sound produced is surprisingly loud.

Everything is contained in two round cases a nickel plated brass, hinged case measuring approx 4½ by 1⅞ in.

This item is with one original reproducer.

The bottom of the metal case is stamped 26-0021792 which I believe is the year of manufacture and the serial number, there some scratches and wear.

These mechanical wonders have become quite rare, are usually only found in museums and private collections.

Appears to be complete with the exception of the operator's manual (french copy) see pictures.

EXTRA INCLUDING

THE MIKIPHONE IS COMPLETE WITH LEATHER CASE.

AND ALSO WITH ONE EXTENSION WINDING KEY.

This MIKIPHONE POCKET PHONOGRAPH would be a great addition to any serious collection of precision gadgets, mechanical Phonographs, or rare machines.

Good Luck and pleasure with bidding.

Shipping and Handling
  • USA: $40
  • Europe: $30
  • Asia/Australia: $45
  • Africa: $40

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
I have a nice Mikiphone but it is not quite as nice as this one. I would like to have the book and the leather case, but to part with that much money for it :shock: and you are right WDC they don't sound the best, actually I think they would have to be the worst of the miniatures, But, they are nice to have :D
Regards Marcel

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

This is getting faintly ridiculous now - another week, another sparkling Mikiphone hits Ebay complete with BOOK this time AND leather case AND winder extension piece that I've never seen before. Why are so many amazing condition Mikiphones all appearing now? I've never seen an original leather case before but quite frankly after seeing 5 different types accompanying 5 mint machines in less number of weeks, it's getting a bit boring! ;)

And yes, they sound terrible too!

I reckon this one will see $1500 though even if the seller has to relist it with a very low start bid of say, $10! ;)

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
I wonder if it is an original case? looks to be in very newish condition. I might have to make one for my Mikiphone kick it around for a while, leave it out in the weather, then I will have an original case too :D :D :twisted:
Regards Marcel

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

saxymojo wrote:I might have to make one for my Mikiphone kick it around for a while, leave it out in the weather, then I will have an original case too
Hey Marcel

Is it just as easy to make two and kick them around whilst you're at it? I know where an owner of a Mikiphone could use one! ;)

Steve

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

saxymojo wrote:I wonder if it is an original case? looks to be in very newish condition.
I agree, it looks awfully good to be vintage. Of course, based on the state of the book and the machine, I suppose it’s possible for it to be original.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

The machine also looks too good to NOT have been carefully stowed away in a case somewhere.

I'm still baffled by the number of near mint Mikiphones that have turned up on Ebay in five weeks!

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Steve wrote:
saxymojo wrote:I might have to make one for my Mikiphone kick it around for a while, leave it out in the weather, then I will have an original case too
Hey Marcel

Is it just as easy to make two and kick them around whilst you're at it? I know where an owner of a Mikiphone could use one! ;)

Steve
Hi Steve
Making the pouch is not that hard, hand stitching it is the difficult time consuming part. I made my first leather horn elbow today for my Victor MS, I was thinking about making a few of them and selling them on ebay :D do you think there would be a market for these?

Regards Marcel
Attachments
P3240029.JPG
Last edited by saxymojo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.