What Califone models accept 16" transcription records?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FloridaClay
Victor VI

What Califone models accept 16" transcription records?

Post by FloridaClay »

Does anybody know which Califone models accept 16" transcription records? Tried Goggling it without much success.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: What Califone models accept 16" transcription records?

Post by Wolfe »

None?

Any Califone I've seen over the years (since my own grammar school days) wouldn't have that capability.

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

To play 16" discs you need a record player with a 12" arm, like a Rek-o-kut. 12" arms are quite sought after though, so don't expect the player to be cheap.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

syncopeter wrote:To play 16" discs you need a record player with a 12" arm, like a Rek-o-kut. 12" arms are quite sought after though, so don't expect the player to be cheap.
You could always buy something like an outboard SME transcription arm for a few hundred bucks, and give it it's own mounting.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

I have seen a couple over the years, so I'm quite sure that there are some out there. (They may not have been badged as "Califone", and might have been for the military.) I sorry now that I didn't note what the brand or model numbers were. Good luck on the search.

- Martin

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

The 16 inch record capability is rare to find in a portable player, but I think I remember seeing some of the older Newcomb brand sets that could play these.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Actually, school-type phonos with 16"record capability aren't that uncommon. They were, however, the larger and more expensive types with lift-off 12" speakers and more powerful and versatile amplifiers. They were often found with variable speed or "tempo" controls as well. Audiotronics, Califone, Newcomb and Bogen all made them. The Bogens are the best of the lot because the later ones came with Lenco turntables, P-P 6V6 outputs and GE RPX or VRII Triple-Play cartridges. If you can find one of the Bogen-Lenco combinations, that is the one you want. There were more of them out there but those are the ones you will most likely find. As a retired AV tech who has serviced an uncountable number of school phonos, I would rank them thusly: Bogen, Newcomb, Audiotronics and Califone. Some of the last Newcomb models were among the best for sound quality and versitility that I have seen. I'll check Ebay later and see if I can post any links for you.
BTW: Except for the Bogen with the Lenco variable speed turntable, I would look for the standard GI (General Industries) 2 pole 4 speed turntable mechanism. This is a complete assembly that is simply dropped into the chassis as a unit, complete with turntable and usually built-in 45 adapter. They are well built and reliable. Virtually all but the cheap models used them. Beware also of variable speed units as they can be unreliable, difficult to repair and difficult to find replacement parts for.
Hope this helps.

Jim

Edit: not sure if the Bogen-Lencos can do 16: or not. If you find one of these, take a record along to be sure. I don't have any 16" records anymore but I put a 14" Pathé on and there's more than inch to spare, so I believe it would play 16" records. It has over 8" of clearance in all directions from the spindle.

Edit: A quick Ebay search didn't show anything I could be sure of and I don't have any literature anymore. If I run across something I'll post it.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Thank you everyone for your responses, and especially phonojim. Nothing like words of wisdom from someone who has worked with these machines over the years. I am in no hurry, so will just add a Bogen-Lenco to my "when I find it" shopping list.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.