Edison cast iron crank - Can I repair it?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
berntd
Victor Jr

Re: Edison cast iron crank - Can I repair it?

Post by berntd »

Hello

I have no doubt that the correct Loctite would hold this in place as stong as new. We use it a lot in manufacture.

If, it should ever give trouble, I suppose can put a pin through it sideways.

Or: as you said, I could thread it. Cast iron is usually really soft brittle stuff and cutting threads into it is easy.

Don't know eaxtly what I am going to do yet but it seems doable.

Best regards
Bernt

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

It is easy to thread cast iron, I have done it many times. With a lathe, you could do a first class job. I would couple an insert to the crank using a threaded rod. Cut the crank shaft shorter as needed, drill a hole and tap it. Turn down a steel rod to the same diameter as the crank and cut it to needed length. Drill it completely through the center and tap it. Cut notches in end. Assemble with short threaded rod. That will be strong, functional and hidden inside the case. If it must be cosmetic, then fill the join with brazing or JB Weld. Sand, prime, paint.

berntd
Victor Jr

Post by berntd »

VintageTechnologies wrote:It is easy to thread cast iron, I have done it many times. With a lathe, you could do a first class job. I would couple an insert to the crank using a threaded rod. Cut the crank shaft shorter as needed, drill a hole and tap it. Turn down a steel rod to the same diameter as the crank and cut it to needed length. Drill it completely through the center and tap it. Cut notches in end. Assemble with short threaded rod. That will be strong, functional and hidden inside the case. If it must be cosmetic, then fill the join with brazing or JB Weld. Sand, prime, paint.
Good thinking. With a piece threaded rod, this will even easier.

The only possible complication is to chuck the crank in the lathe.
I will have to think about that :?:

Best of all is, that when completed, it will still be an oiginal crank!

Regards
Bermt

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

You state that it still works. Why don't you leave it alone? It's not like it shows.

berntd
Victor Jr

Post by berntd »

JerryVan wrote:You state that it still works. Why don't you leave it alone? It's not like it shows.
At this stage I am. I am not sure yet what I will do about it - if anything ;)

Bernt