Edison B-19 Low Serial Number?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jwb88
Victor II

Edison B-19 Low Serial Number?

Post by Jwb88 »

I’ve had this Edison B-19 for a while now in the junk pile but I only just noticed: the serial number is SM——340. That seems so low. I would have thought serial numbers would start at 501 or so. Is this unusual? What number did Edison start with? Is there a serial number 1 out there? :lol:

Anyway, I had some time yesterday so I realized I could Frankenstein most of a DD mechanism for it out of parts I had. I had one spring that was badly bent in the middle, but with some bending it runs great. It would still need a wood lift knob, a turntable, a crank, a lid stay, and a reproducer :? That’s not unreasonable. The problem is that the cabinet is in awful condition. Not unrestorable, but it’s not at the top of the project pile, that’s for sure.

So anyway, what’s up with the serial numbering?
Attachments
5E6102F3-A172-4010-A3C1-5833DDD70AD4.jpeg
494AA64D-CD38-46F5-9BA6-37AF7ABE9312.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison B-19 Low Serial Number?

Post by phonogfp »

Edison numbering started with #1, unless one model morphed into another - - such as the A 250 becoming the B 250. Your B 19 is the 340th off the line.

George P.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I had no idea. How oddly honest, to start with #1 on machines like these (not special orders).

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:Edison numbering started with #1, unless one model morphed into another - - such as the A 250 becoming the B 250. Your B 19 is the 340th off the line.

George P.
340th I think?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Valecnik wrote:
phonogfp wrote:Edison numbering started with #1, unless one model morphed into another - - such as the A 250 becoming the B 250. Your B 19 is the 340th off the line.

George P.
340th I think?
Bruce, I don't understand.

George

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I have owned a couple of 3-digit Edisons. My 1A is 267 and I have 1A cabinet 275. The lowest I've seen in person is Charley Hummel's Amberola IV, which I think is serial number 3.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Nice. Serial number 3 is awesome, it's almost silly.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:
Valecnik wrote:

George P.
340th I think?
Bruce, I don't understand.

George
Ugh, I misread your comment George. Thought you'd written 34th. I was attempting to correct you but I was the one mistaken. :monkey:

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Valecnik wrote:
Ugh, I misread your comment George. Thought you'd written 34th. I was attempting to correct you but I was the one mistaken. :monkey:
My eyes occasionally do the same thing to me! :)

See you at Union?

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:
Valecnik wrote:
My eyes occasionally do the same thing to me! :)

See you at Union?

George P.
Sure hope to see you at Union unless there are some gravity related issues with the flight across the pond. :oops: