Hello from a VV-XVI newbie

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Hello from a VV-XVI newbie

Post by fran604g »

Hey everybody! A few days ago, I finally became the proud owner of a Victor Victrola XVI made in 1912. Serial No. 63448 E with an exhibition reproducer and gold plated hardware in a Mahogany cabinet.

I've been wanting one for a very longtime and finally had a little cash to spend. I've already posted in a thread about the motorboard and thought I probably ought to start my own thread about his machine.

I also have an Edison Home Phonograph, an HMV-101 and a couple other junky portable 78 players. I'm not a serious collector, by any means.

Anyway, here's some pictures, comments are encouraged.
Attachments
DSC04446 (Large).JPG
DSC04408 (Large).JPG
DSC04407 (Large).JPG
DSC04395 (Large).JPG
Front Tag (Large).JPG
Back Label (Large).JPG
DSC04394 (Large).JPG
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Hello from a VV-XVI newbie

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Welcome to the Talking Machine Forum and thanks for posting the photos. For quite a few years, an oak VV-XVI was part of my collection, but it was recently sold. It is a good model to own and I hope you enjoy it.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

There is something elegant about a nice big Victrola and yours captures the essence. If the white rubber gaskets are hard, rebuilding the Exhibition is a simple job with great results. You can get all the needed items for a couple of bucks and there are threads here on the Forum to show the way. You purchased a great Victrola. Congratulations! Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

An Edison Home, a VV-XVI, a HMV, and others... it's a slippery slope and most of us are happily sliding along. :lol: Jerry

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

My first talking machine purchase was a Victrola XVI (an E model like yours), back in November 1967. I still have it, and it's one of my favorite model Victrolas. Congratulations!

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Jerry B. wrote:An Edison Home, a VV-XVI, a HMV, and others... it's a slippery slope and most of us are happily sliding along. :lol: Jerry
All too true. Enjoy the ride! :D

a12548
Victor I

Post by a12548 »

Looking at those slider cups under the casters brings to mind a question about what everyone else uses if anything, under the caster wheels to glide these beasts around a hard floor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Jerry B. wrote:There is something elegant about a nice big Victrola and yours captures the essence. If the white rubber gaskets are hard, rebuilding the Exhibition is a simple job with great results. You can get all the needed items for a couple of bucks and there are threads here on the Forum to show the way. You purchased a great Victrola. Congratulations! Jerry Blais
Thanks Jerry!

That's at the top of the list, either that or wait until I hook up with Tim F. when he gets back up in this area. It doesn't look all that difficult, I'll just have to source the gasket material.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

a12548 wrote:Looking at those slider cups under the casters brings to mind a question about what everyone else uses if anything, under the caster wheels to glide these beasts around a hard floor.
A necessity with this old house, more for leveling than sliding. ;)

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

That's a nice looking XVI for sure. You lucked out! I'm a little surprised that there seems to be no semi-automatic turntable shut-off device. When did VTMCo add this, I wonder? I presume it was sometime between 1912 and 1917. Otherwise, except for the gold plating, your XVI's hardware looks identical to that on my nickel finish XI.
a12548 wrote:Looking at those slider cups under the casters brings to mind a question about what everyone else uses if anything, under the caster wheels to glide these beasts around a hard floor.
Teflon pads are great. For a period look, I use felt-bottom metal cups under the casters.