Victor E - Would this be a good purchase?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomwil
Victor I

Victor E - Would this be a good purchase?

Post by tomwil »

I'm looking for a small Victor horn machine for under $1000, and saw this Craigslist ad for a Victor E for $975. It has since gone on eBay. Would this be a good purchase for the price? The horn probably is not original, and the reproducer appears to need work. Anything else improper that you can see?

Comparing prices : $1287, $821, $1100, $860.

Thanks for any help!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Victor E - Would this be a good purchase?

Post by Jerry B. »

It looks like a rather ho hum Victor E. The finish looks dead and the nickeling is only fair. The horn could well be an after market horn made for a Victor. The only glaring error is the U-tube on the tone arm. It's too long. The reproducer should rest on the tone arm when it is not in use. The U-tube on this machine is from a Victrola where the reproducer would rest on a little attachment under the tone arm.
So far we have three pages on the value of a VV-VI. This thread should be good for a dozen pages! :shock:
My opinion only... I don't know where you are in your collecting, but if you want an early Victor, I'd suggest a front mount E or R. They're common, cute, don't really play worth a darn, and look good with a Nipper listening to the horn. If you'd like a good looking rear mount Victor, the hump back Victor II is perfect. It's only slightly larger than the rear mount E (The E evolved into the II), and the motor is robust and reasonably quiet. If you'd like a good machine for playing records, the double spring Victor III is an excellent choice.
Jerry Blais

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Victor E's have double spring motors which I personally like over single spring Victors. They're small double spring motors but they still do a pretty good job of playing records. Also, this one has a somewhat hard to find extension on the elbow which will allow for a larger horn and thereby a little better sound. This one definitely has been "worked on" at some point as the turntable felt is newer and the finish (to me) looks a bit light for an original Victor E finish and, as Jerry mentioned, the Victrola gooseneck is incorrect for a Victor. Nice thing about rear mount Victors (and others) is that you can sit or stand in front of the instrument after cranking for the full horn listening experience. Front mounts require the listener to reposition to hear the full horn sound from the instrument. I have both Victor E's and Victor R's and most of the entire Victor models and for listening I always crank up a rear mount. For the "early, classic look" I prefer the front mounts. They're just awkward for listening (again, to me) and can be pretty tough on the record grooves too. - Doug

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I'm curious... Are you within driving distance to any of the phono shows? I've been to Orlando, CAPS, and Union and at any of those shows, you would have a decent selection of machines to consider. Sellers have to be competitive to make a sale so there is generally good value with their pricing. Jerry

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The price is a little high in today's economy. A few years ago, that would be a good price. The machine looks a little awkward with the huge horn. A smaller black/brass horn will be better. The u-tube is a fairly common part that is easy to get. The machine looks dirty and I think an easy clean up will work on it. The after-market horn and elbow adapter are good parts to have. If the motor is smooth and quiet, I'd get it. If it is rough and noisy, I'd pass on it. Victor E's are common and you should find one soon. Good luck,
Harvey

tomwil
Victor I

Post by tomwil »

Jerry B. wrote:I don't know where you are in your collecting ...
Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions.

The eBay auction appears to have ended early with reserve not met. The Craigslist ad is still up.

I'm not considered a serious collector. I only have a few Victor Victrolas, and no horn machines. I was looking for a small Victor rear-mount horn machine for under $1000. I'm not too picky on how accurate or original the Victor is, as I am not looking for an investment piece but rather just a working show model. No one I associate with would know much about Victors, and would be impressed with any phonograph with a horn. But, I'm not interested in crapophones.

I sometimes find that sellers who are serious collectors are high on their prices, or seem aloof on their pricing. One example is here, where a question of pricing is never answered.

I will try the Wayne show again, and hope that one meets my needs and price point. In the past, I haven't been successful. If anyone knows of a lead, please let me know.

Thanks again!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

John is bringing a Victor II to Wayne as shown in this thread:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=12198

I didn't ask what his price is, but this is certainly a nice example. Victor IIs are great looking and playing machines, IMO.

Sean

tomwil
Victor I

Post by tomwil »

OrthoSean wrote:John is bringing a Victor II to Wayne as shown in this thread:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=12198

I didn't ask what his price is, but this is certainly a nice example. Victor IIs are great looking and playing machines, IMO.

Sean
Thanks, Sean. I'll probably have to send John a PM for the price, but his thread is the one mentioned where he didn't reply to the VV-50 pricing.

I saw a Victor I on eBay that was within my price range and driving distance, but I noticed the sound box (U) tube was on backwards. Makes me wonder what else might be wrong with the machine.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

The color of the ID tag makes me wonder if a coat of ? was applied over the cabinet. If so, it looks like a bit of a project but maybe you'd enjoy working on the machine. I personally like to invest part of me into a machine. Even if it's a good cleaning it makes it yours. The lever needle release is a nice feature. The repaired tear in the horn is a drawback. Jerry

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Send John a PM, I promise he'll get right back to you.

And that VV-50 is sold, I'll be picking it up at Wayne in a couple weeks! I bought it just after he listed it here :mrgreen:

Sean