Whats wrong here?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Whats wrong here?

Post by ambrola »

I was thinking about this machine. Something is just not right. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
692707254_o.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: Whats wrong here?

Post by soundgen »

LOTS ! Post more pictures !

penman
Victor II

Post by penman »

I'm not sure anything is wrong. That photo is taken at a strange angle so the arm looks funny, but from the other pictures in the listing it looks fine. It needs the metal travelling arm, and the nut at the bottom of the pivot pin may not be right, and obviously someone already removed the "remove this plate" plate. It looks like a nice candidate for restoration. A ca. 1903/4 "E"

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

penman wrote:I'm not sure anything is wrong. That photo is taken at a strange angle so the arm looks funny, but from the other pictures in the listing it looks fine. It needs the metal travelling arm, and the nut at the bottom of the pivot pin may not be right, and obviously someone already removed the "remove this plate" plate. It looks like a nice candidate for restoration. A ca. 1903/4 "E"

Holes ?

penman
Victor II

Post by penman »

soundgen wrote:
penman wrote:I'm not sure anything is wrong. That photo is taken at a strange angle so the arm looks funny, but from the other pictures in the listing it looks fine. It needs the metal travelling arm, and the nut at the bottom of the pivot pin may not be right, and obviously someone already removed the "remove this plate" plate. It looks like a nice candidate for restoration. A ca. 1903/4 "E"

Holes ?
That's what is typically under the "remove this plate". The holes for the back mount all came pre-drilled on late front mount machines so the owner could upgrade to back mount later. Interestingly, referring back to an earlier thread on sound box height, originality, etc., the holes are slots so either a concert or Exhibition soundbox could be fitted, as long as the inside plate had the 2 sets of holes.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Here's two pics of mine so you can see what the plate looks like-- As "penman" said, the machine was able to be converted to "Rigid Arm" (rear mount) if owner desired. The nut on the end of support arm is incorrect, but otherwise, looks like a nice machine to restore.

Brad
Attachments
HPIM2385.JPG
HPIM2384.JPG

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

outune wrote:Here's two pics of mine so you can see what the plate looks like-- As "penman" said, the machine was able to be converted to "Rigid Arm" (rear mount) if owner desired. The nut on the end of support arm is incorrect, but otherwise, looks like a nice machine to restore.

Brad

Brilliant !

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

As Penman has already stated.....there is nothing wrong with the machine. The only non-original part in the pic posted above is.....the nut that is securing the support post of the "Gibson" designed metal travel arm. As Outune shows....the correct nut is knurled and round in shape. Good restore candidate.