Nice Machine...the rest of the house, however

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Nice Machine...the rest of the house, however

Post by Zeppy »

Is it so hard to ask that someone at least clear some of their mess out when taking a picture for an auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/victors-talking ... 257c079bb0

Considering the squaler they live in, the machine seems to be in pretty good condition (although bit overpriced).

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Nice Machine...the rest of the house, however

Post by OrthoSean »

His grammar is a little rough, too :lol:

The outside is much lighter than the inside, though. Refinished, I'd say? It doesn't look like strange flash effects, but I guess you never know.

Sean

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I think it started life as red mahogany .....

Norfolkguy
Victor O
Personal Text: Love, life, and people...well, the nice ones!

Post by Norfolkguy »

Someone get it quick, before the dog lifts his leg on it :lol: Pretty Victrola though, may just be sun faded. Where do they get these prices?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

$2500 for an unmolested XVIII is not a bad price at all. I paid more than that a couple of years back for mine. These used to bring $3500-4000 all the time. I'm pretty sure this machine has had work done to the finish on the outside. You can clearly see inside is red mahogany and the outside is more like tan. That would be some serious fading!

Sean

Norfolkguy
Victor O

Post by Norfolkguy »

OrthoSean wrote:$2500 for an unmolested XVIII is not a bad price at all. I paid more than that a couple of years back for mine. These used to bring $3500-4000 all the time. I'm pretty sure this machine has had work done to the finish on the outside. You can clearly see inside is red mahogany and the outside is more like tan. That would be some serious fading!

Sean
Agree on the price, but as a starting bid seems high on ebay for such a large item.

Norfolkguy
Victor O

Post by Norfolkguy »

Just noticed, the photos were taken five years ago.....it most likely blends in with the rest of the decor by now.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Norfolkguy wrote:Just noticed, the photos were taken five years ago.....it most likely blends in with the rest of the decor by now.
He mentioned in the description this was a mistake with the camera, and it wasn't actually taken then

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

Zeppy wrote:Is it so hard to ask that someone at least clear some of their mess out when taking a picture for an auction? Considering the squaler they live in, the machine seems to be in pretty good condition (although bit overpriced).
Do you really need to point out how someone lives when you bring attention to an eBay listing, Zeppy? What does that even remotely have to do with the machine in question?

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

In my opinion, the pics are very poor for what he is attempting to sell and the opening bid he is looking for. In the case of any online auction, photos are everything and there are no really good photos of the machine. Perhaps he should have paid someone to list this for him instead of doing it himself. Just like selling a cylinder record showing 6 pictures of the usually incorrect box and one blurry one of the record.

Jim