Buying Records, just for the sake of it.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Re: Buying Records, just for the sake of it.

Post by Edisonfan »

Well where I live, I don't know if there is a real market, but 78's down here rarely move at all. There just aren't that many collctors where I live. I find most of my 78's DD's and cylinders, in antique malls.

Paul

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

Edisonfan wrote:Well where I live, I don't know if there is a real market, but 78's down here rarely move at all. There just aren't that many collctors where I live. I find most of my 78's DD's and cylinders, in antique malls.

Paul
78s are slow here too. I asked about them in a shop here in town, & they told me they just throw them away when they get them. :x Sure, many wouldn't be worth anything, but I'll bet some good ones get tossed along w/ the rest.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Sure, many wouldn't be worth anything, but I'll bet some good ones get tossed along w/ the rest.
This reminds me of one time when I was looking through a box of 78s... You know how it is; red-label Columbias from the 40s, Mercurys, Deccas, Victors from the 40s... :roll: (Now I know some folks might be pleased to look through records that age, but my interest fades after 1930, so this box wasn't at all appealing to me!) I was about half-way through the box, and was tempted to just give it up - - the records had been consistently late and all were dirty. You've all been there. "...Kay Keyser, Doris Day, Bing, Guy Lombardo, another Doris...WHAT'S THIS??!!" :shock: A 1909 Peerless - a double-sided record made by Leeds/Catlin just before they went under. I'd never seen one! Ever since that day, I trudge through the entire box before giving up. Just one strike makes it worth it!

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Gosh - that was my FIRST POST? What happened - was I demoted, or is this just another sign of early dementia? I thought for sure I had posted something earlier... Oh well - doesn't matter...

George P.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

phonogfp wrote:Gosh - that was my FIRST POST? What happened - was I demoted, or is this just another sign of early dementia? I thought for sure I had posted something earlier... Oh well - doesn't matter...
George,

After some searching I found 2 posts of yours as a guest (since associated with your account) and a few belonging to other members, which I added to their accounts...and you now have 5 posts because two of them are now added to your account. I’ll have to look and see if there were any more guest posts that I have missed. While I was at it, I associated a few other posts with their respective members, because this way (should they ever want to) they can edit their posts or otherwise have control over them.

I still have a lot of customizing left to do on our new home, as well as a bug or two to squish.

Rest assured that we would never demote you—in fact, we’re looking forward to all of you growing in Victor model numbers (or whatever John continues to use as ranks); already we have members being promoted to VV‑VI as they hit 50 posts. (Our birthday boy is among the VV‑VIs.) However, whether any of you are a VV‑IV, VV‑VI, or some other model, all of you are equally important (and no doubt are far more knowledgeable about phonographs and music than I am). ;)

But back to the topic at hand—your example proves that you should always look through everything, you may be surprised what you might find. solophoneman can attest to this—he wrote a great article for In The Groove about a record that John found in a junk machine (and I’ll let him retell this story).

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

But back to the topic at hand—your example proves that you should always look through everything, you may be surprised what you might find. solophoneman can attest to this—he wrote a great article for In The Groove about a record that John found in a junk machine (and I’ll let him retell this story).

— MordEth

I remember that story! Gosh, it's nice when THAT happens!

George P.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

I have been getting discouraged, becuse I have not found anything good. Mainly because 78's, DD's and cylinders are not big where I live.

Paul

Duchesne
Victor O

Post by Duchesne »

hmmmm So I have a place to send the 78's i don't want in my Collecton?
It will be enough to ship so I won't charge for them ( I'm Not looking for Shekels) .- But if anyone here is obsessed for collecting records for the hell of it, then I'm Glad to be feeding that obsession .... Muahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa :twisted:

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Well, you could send them my way.

:)

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

For the most part, at least in urban ares, I think older 78's are pretty thin on the ground now-a-days. My gosh, when I think back to when I was a kid-seeing stacks of Batwings and the like at every yard sale, flea market, church bazaar and junk shop from pocket change, I could just scream! :roll:

E-Bay has been my savior. Before E-Bay I'd only ever seen two DDs in the wild and I bought them both when I was about 11. I'd never seen an unbroken cylinder for sale either. Mind you I wasn't actually looking for them.

If you find a seller you like and trust E-Bay is the way to go in my opinion it's easier to pick what you want I think.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!