Buying Records, just for the sake of it.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: Buying Records, just for the sake of it.

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I've always purchased my records individually, yet they still accumulate. My records number only in the hundreds and not the thousands, but anyone going through my collection would know that it was pieced together carefully. Yesterday I bought my first record in at least six weeks: "Neath the old acorn tree, sweet Estelle," by Harry Macdonough with the Haydn Quartet on Victor 5319.

Rocky

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

"Neath the old acorn tree, sweet Estelle"
Any particular reason you bought that very title? ;)

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Fredrik wrote:
"Neath the old acorn tree, sweet Estelle"
Any particular reason you bought that very title? ;)

Fredrik
Fredrik,

I bought it for two reasons. First of all, I'm a squirrel, and as such, I like acorn trees! Secondly, I've always liked the song. It's available in MP3 from The Virtual Gramophone-Canadian Historical Sound Recordings. As Harry Macdonough and Henry Burr were Canadian, the site offers a large number of their records, quartet as well as solo.

In addition, here's Harry Anthony's Edison 2-minute rendition (#9542), which most of us purchased in May 1907, when it was first released. :D

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/mp3s/ ... l3218d.mp3

;)
Rocky
Last edited by EdisonSquirrel on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Brad wrote: The hard part will be finding a way to part with the items I don't want....
Do you shoot skeet?
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Amberola 1-A wrote:
Do you shoot skeet?
No, But I have been known to run over an Amberola when they freeze in my headlights :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:D :D :D :D
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Now that's funny. :lol:

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Brad wrote: No, But I have been known to run over an Amberola when they freeze in my headlights :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:D :D :D :D
Watch out for those cloven footed ones, they have been known to go through the windshield!!!! ;)
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

Bil said it perfectly, :lol: After the stack of Crosby's White Christmas or the stack of Gluck's Carry Me Back to Old Virginny starts to intimidate the family pet one becomes a bit more selective.

Paul, I have bought hundreds of records because of the label design or the the song had an interesting name or I'd never heard the artist. I think that's how we all get a feel for what we come to like. I had a bit of heads up in that I'd been buying hundreds of re-issue CDs for quite a few years before I got into the hobby so I recognized many names both of songs and artists although a chunk of that was stuff I couldn't yet afford on shellac-early Jazz and early thirties dance music. I've found so much great stuff that isn't considered "important", but it sure is fun!

Being able to buy records for one or two dollars or bulk lots for a good price (or even stacks given away to us) is a great way to expand our musical horizons. I am more picky now but I still like the bulk lots.

On an Edison note-most of my fledgling BA collection has been bulk purchases. The core of my DD collection was likewise a bulk purchase.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I am getting a little more picky about which records to buy. Unless, someone want's to unload a few on me I won't mind. Yea, I still am just buying Edison Disc's and Cylinders, when I find them.

Paul

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Edisonfan wrote:I am getting a little more picky about which records to buy. Unless, someone want's to unload a few on me I won't mind. Yea, I still am just buying Edison Disc's and Cylinders, when I find them.

Paul
I've gotten quite picky about what I buy, these things can really get out of hand after a awhile. Fortunately, I've done enough digging through 78's over the years, that I can tell with pretty good accuracy whether or not what I'm buying is going to be something I'll want to keep over the long term. Of course, the occasional duds still come up, but not nearly as often as they used to.

The last time I had to get rid of my unwanted randomly purchased 78's (in a move,) I literally tied them up in bales, like so much hay, and had the Salvation Army come and haul them all away. :o I don't want have to do that again.