Original vs. repro parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Original vs. repro parts

Post by Jerry B. »

It's a very nice looking outfit. Jerry Blais

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Original vs. repro parts

Post by FloridaClay »

phonogfp wrote:Looks good - much better than the the cabinet/motor/turntable alone! :)

Just a suggestion: I think the horn would look better if you rotate it 180 degrees so the seam is on the bottom.

George P.
I had a debate with myself about that very thing George. On the one hand one would normally expect the seam to be hidden, but on the other there is a bump out (purely decorative as far as I can tell) on the brass elbow that lines up to make a continuous line with the seam when the seam is up, in effect joining with the seam to make it into a decorative element when viewed from above. Right now, that is winning in terms of what appeals so me.

One of these days I will see if I can find some original advertising to see if that was intended by the factory to convert the seam from a decorative minus into a plus, or it is just a coincidence.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.