Movies and Phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
LeRoyDDD
Victor Jr

Movies and Phonographs

Post by LeRoyDDD »

Below, my final reply after a long conversation with a set decorator buyer for a movie shooting in New Mexico.

After finally realizing the movie company thought the three (almost) identical VV-VIs I had for them just needed me to come up with identical external horns to put on them for the look they wanted.

I've stopped standing up in the theaters and saying, "Those are bleepety-bleep CRAPOPHONES!" Nobody knows or cares except us. I do love it when I see an authentic machine... Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Chicago come to mind.

Benjamin Button has a crapophone.

L*****e,

Here’s a URL to an eBay lister who offers what you might be looking for...

http://search.stores.ebay.com/ecWorld-H ... lZ12704155

If that link doesn’t work directly, here’s the home page for the eBay store...

http://stores.ebay.com/ECWORLD-IMPORTS_ ... 3aSTQQtZkm

Authentic external horn machines go for $800 to $2500 and more. Getting three similar ones together might take more time, expense and effort than “Book of Eli” would want to budget for. And if they feature in action scenes where they would emerge as kindling and twisted metal, I’d weep! :=)

I think the “bronze” colored horn with the oak cabinet is more photogenic than the flashy “gold brass” horn model with the mahogany cabinet. Every other production using these reproduction machines is going with the “gold brass.” What a cliché! <grin>

Oak is way more authentic in percentage sold than mahogany. The company might “mix and match” horns and cabinets, though. And what might they do for a mention in the credits! Your business is mind-boggling to me.

Need any stereoscopes and viewcards?

Good luck,

LeRoy

On 1/10/09 8:39 AM, "Lisanne Scafine" <l*****e@gmail.com> wrote:

...One of the directors ... wants 3 of these versions[vv-vi] or
similiar now with matching
horns.

Anything to show me? They should work or at least spin....

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Movies and Phonographs

Post by brianu »

leroyddd wrote:Below, my final reply after a long conversation with a set decorator buyer for a movie shooting in New Mexico.

After finally realizing the movie company thought the three (almost) identical VV-VIs I had for them just needed me to come up with identical external horns to put on them for the look they wanted.

I've stopped standing up in the theaters and saying, "Those are bleepety-bleep CRAPOPHONES!" Nobody knows or cares except us. I do love it when I see an authentic machine... Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Chicago come to mind.

Benjamin Button has a crapophone.

L*****e,

Here’s a URL to an eBay lister who offers what you might be looking for...

http://search.stores.ebay.com/ecWorld-H ... lZ12704155

If that link doesn’t work directly, here’s the home page for the eBay store...

http://stores.ebay.com/ECWORLD-IMPORTS_ ... 3aSTQQtZkm

Authentic external horn machines go for $800 to $2500 and more. Getting three similar ones together might take more time, expense and effort than “Book of Eli” would want to budget for. And if they feature in action scenes where they would emerge as kindling and twisted metal, I’d weep! :=)

I think the “bronze” colored horn with the oak cabinet is more photogenic than the flashy “gold brass” horn model with the mahogany cabinet. Every other production using these reproduction machines is going with the “gold brass.” What a cliché! <grin>

Oak is way more authentic in percentage sold than mahogany. The company might “mix and match” horns and cabinets, though. And what might they do for a mention in the credits! Your business is mind-boggling to me.

Need any stereoscopes and viewcards?

Good luck,

LeRoy

On 1/10/09 8:39 AM, "Lisanne Scafine" <l*****e@gmail.com> wrote:

...One of the directors ... wants 3 of these versions[vv-vi] or
similiar now with matching
horns.

Anything to show me? They should work or at least spin....
I don't follow... are you just cutting and pasting email about someone wanting to buy machines from you for a movie?

and did you notice the thread that already started on this topic?