The making of a Mikiphone pouch

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: The making of a Mikiphone pouch

Post by MordEth »

WDC wrote:A very beautiful work! I am sure that there is a market for such nice cases.
Quite probably, especially since I doubt that there are existing case manufacturers that make cases specifically for a Mikiphone.

Marcel: Out of curiosity, how long does one of these take to make?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi David
I didn't set the clock to check, but I would have to say about 5 to 6 hours. The hand stitching is what takes the most time and kills the fingers. I will be making another soon, so I will keep tabs on the time taken to make it.
How much would someone be willing to pay for such an item? What would they be worth? this I don't know. I really don't think there would be to many people who would be willing to pay for the time and materials to make one of these. I will have to make some enquiries to see if I can find a machine that can stitch them, this would reduce the time a lot, and make it a more affordable item.
Regards Marcel

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Well, as Marcel already knows, I for one, would be prepared to buy one of his beautiful hand crafted leather cases if he chooses to make another one! ;)

It's not a question of value so much as as it is one of "completeness". My Mikiphone has the original instruction book, card packing case and needle tin with it and due to the method it was stored for over 80 years, is in near perfect condition. It's just crying out for a leather case to cap it all off and as I'm very unlikely to ever stumble upon an original case without another machine inside it!!!!....... ;)