Software for noise reduction and equalzation of 78s

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Software for noise reduction and equalzation of 78s

Post by OrthoSean »

Hey Bruce,

You shouldn't have any issues using the VSP with your amp, I also have the VSP and it is a MUST for doing decent transfers, I think the only place you can get one is through KAB. Mine is driven by an early 1960s McIntosh amp and I've had it hooked up to a few other amps I have including a late 1950s Harman Kardon tube amp, so again, you shouldn't have any problems!

HTH,
Sean

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Sean thanks much for your reply. Sounds like this piece of equipment IS a must have. It's pretty expensive though, more than $600 at KAB. Probably I need to buy it anyway and just not tell my wife :?

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Well, I know I'm late but would like to pop in my opinion. I generally have some reservations against hardware solutions. Mostly, because they are often less configurable than a program. Nevertheless, it always depends on personal preferences and taste.

I am very happy with Adobe Audition and Sony Noise Reduction DirectX plugin. This combination provides the very best quality solution I was ever able to accomplish. Certain filters of Audition are indispensable and together with SNR it is very powerful.
Sony Noise Reduction consists of four different filters where I mostly rely on "Noise Reduction" and "Click and Crackle Removal". You'll find useful presets which can be adjusted properly to correspond to your audio material more efficiently.

Okay, the prices may be the real problem: Audition is about $325 and SNR sells at $280. My justification is my business of archival transfers for museums, libraries and re-issue labels and the software has paid for itself.

If you are looking for a more affordable solution, you indeed may find ClickRepair very useful. I tested it some time ago and its results were quite pleasing. However, I am not aware of the quality of their Noise Reduction software. So, ClickRepair will be only a part of a full restoration procedure.

Audacity is certainly not my thing. I don't like the filter quality and the user interface is simply annoying. A very simple but worth-to-check program is available Gnome (Linux), called Gnome Wave Cleaner.

Norman