Just how honest are members of this forum?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories

How honest are your with your partner/spouse re. your collecting habits?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 am

I sneak my stuff in when he/she's out. I only mention the purchase if it's so big and obvious he/she can't miss it and I factor the price down significantly or refuse to say.
13%
I neglect to mention some things, details, small items and true price.
22%
I tell my spouse most things but sometimes I "forget".
39%
I tell my spouse every detail.
26%

Total votes: 23

coyote
Victor II

Re: Just how honest are members of this forum?

Post by coyote »

Good idea, Pete, especially if you haven't insured your phonographs for a specific value. My partner was with me when I picked up my Opera, so at least SOMEONE knows exactly what I paid!

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

flashpanblue wrote:I too am guilty of not disclosing the full purchase price of my machines. I have only been collecting the last four years and have been selling off other collectables to buy my Phonographs. I have 25 machines. The danger in this is what would happen if you were to suddenly die. I am not kidding, i have had two very good long time friends recently die. Would your wife know that an Edison Opera is worth $8000.00 or would she willingly sell it to the first dealer that came along for an offer of $250.00. I have decided to place a note inside of each Phonograph case with its approximate value.I have told my wife of this plan. The values of course would have to be updated from time to time.You could also include the names of trusted friends who could help selling stuff off should the need arise.
Pete
Hi
I keep a book on every purchase made, thats every part, machine, reproducer everything. The reason also I I die or if I sell an item I know how much I am loosing :cry: This probably comes from running my own business for 25 years.
Regards Marcel

egambino
Victor Jr

Post by egambino »

I've been with my wife for a long time. I know what she want's to hear. If I know that my wife want's to hear that the $600.00 machine I just bought costs $250.00, then "$250.00 plus shipping" it is. Just because shipping was $400.00 is no reason to freak my wife out. I'm positive she does something along the same lines. It's just part of getting along! :roll:

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

egambino wrote:I've been with my wife for a long time. I know what she want's to hear. If I know that my wife want's to hear that the $600.00 machine I just bought costs $250.00, then "$250.00 plus shipping" it is. Just because shipping was $400.00 is no reason to freak my wife out. I'm positive she does something along the same lines. It's just part of getting along! :roll:
I'm with ya. Sometimes as I'm bringing an expensive purchase in the door my wife will ask, "How much did you pay for that one?" and she'll tolerate an answer like, "Well sweetheart would you believe it cost $80 new in 1908 and the wood horn would have been $10 extra!. Isn't that amazing!"

At that point she usually just rolls her eyes and walks away. :lol: