Just how honest are members of this forum?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories

How honest are your with your partner/spouse re. your collecting habits?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 am

I sneak my stuff in when he/she's out. I only mention the purchase if it's so big and obvious he/she can't miss it and I factor the price down significantly or refuse to say.
13%
I neglect to mention some things, details, small items and true price.
22%
I tell my spouse most things but sometimes I "forget".
39%
I tell my spouse every detail.
26%

Total votes: 23

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Re: Just how honest are members of this forum?

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

May I vote in this poll? My Edison C-250 is my spouse. That means that cylinder purchases constitute incest and lateral record purchases (especially Victor records) constitute infidelity.

:squirrel:

Rocky

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

A friend of mine went to an old car show and ended up purchasing 1,000 78's. He was honest enough to tell his wife. i spoke to his wife several days ago. The 78s are still in his van. She's forbidden him to bring them in the house. :lol:

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

EdisonSquirrel wrote:May I vote in this poll? My Edison C-250 is my spouse. That means that cylinder purchases constitute incest and lateral record purchases (especially Victor records) constitute infidelity.

:squirrel:

Rocky
My gosh Rocky, that makes me a totally incestuous polygamist! I don't even feel worthy to advise you on whether you are permitted to vote! You must decide based on conscience!

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I'm usually pretty honest with the wife...well, at least for the big purchases...I have small parts (i.e., my never ending Victor reporducer collection) and ephemera mailed to my office, so she may not know about all of those. And well, I usually tell her how much the machines that are sent to the house cost....although, I may occassionally neglect to mention the shipping charges....

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

I'm really surprised this discussion hasn't gotten around to suggestive comments about sharing your new big horn, crank or mandrell with the spouse. I guess my mind is always in the gutter (or I hung around the OTVMB too long) ;)
Dave

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

Humm, I seem to be in the minority here. Ken knows everything about my phono purchases. Sometimes he does look a little shell shocked though. One time I handed him a big fat stack of 78s at a show & said please pay for these because I need to look at other stuff, & he asked how much it was going to cost. The look on his face was priceless! :lol:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

There is possibly another aspect to all this and I feel possibly yet another poll question looming! ;)

What if your partner has little knowledge or interest in your collection (as is true in my own case)?

Why bother to show them everything anyway when the likely response to the declaration: "Hey, come and have a look at my latest find!" will probably be "Oh, that's nice. Is it worth much?" This will be followed my much rolling of the eyes and then a quick change of the subject. :lol:

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

I suppose I'm fortunate and don't have to sneak around or prevaricate because Wendy not only enjoys these machines, but has bought a few herself not to mention her passion for Little Wonder Records!

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
I keep no secrets. My partner knows everything about my collection, and she loves them too. If she didn't like them I would have to trade her In for a gramophone friendly model :lol:

Marcel

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

I too am guilty of not disclosing the full purchase price of my machines. I have only been collecting the last four years and have been selling off other collectables to buy my Phonographs. I have 25 machines. The danger in this is what would happen if you were to suddenly die. I am not kidding, i have had two very good long time friends recently die. Would your wife know that an Edison Opera is worth $8000.00 or would she willingly sell it to the first dealer that came along for an offer of $250.00. I have decided to place a note inside of each Phonograph case with its approximate value.I have told my wife of this plan. The values of course would have to be updated from time to time.You could also include the names of trusted friends who could help selling stuff off should the need arise.
Pete