Playerphone Talking Machine!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Playerphone Talking Machine!

Post by GoCOOGS! »

Hey yall! It's been a while since i've logged on. I have been really busy with school. Anywho, I bought this beauty today for almost nothing! Just wanted to show it off here ;) It is a Playerphone Talking Machine. The gentleman I bought it from said it is from 1916. Have any of yall ever heard of this company? It was manufactured in Chicago. Well, here are the pictures! I'm just going to go over the wood with Old English because the wood is beautifully aged! It only has a few scratches here and there. If anyone knows any info on this model I'd love to hear it! I'll take more pictures when I move it into my living room!
PS: sorry for the orientation of some of the pictures
photo 1 (35).JPG
photo 2 (32).JPG
photo 3 (20).JPG
photo 5 (3).JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Playerphone Talking Machine!

Post by estott »

Very nice- this is a good example of why some of us like these "off brand" machines - they have a lot of charm.

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

estott wrote:Very nice- this is a good example of why some of us like these "off brand" machines - they have a lot of charm.
Indeed! I love how everything was made with such quality and craftsmanship! Even this "off-brand" talking machine is a work of art!

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Nice purchase. Will be a nice addition.

Norfolkguy
Victor O
Personal Text: Love, life, and people...well, the nice ones!

Post by Norfolkguy »

You did very well, they have an awesome tone! :) You might get even better results with Howards restore a finish, it's an amazing product. :coffee:

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

GoCOOGS! wrote: Have any of yall ever heard of this company?
I've heard of them because there are also vertically cut Playerphone records floating about. They don't seem real common, though.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Playerphone Talking Machine Company, 802 Republic Building, Chicago, Illinois. I personally find that most of my off-brands were manufactured (or based) in Chicago Illinois. I find that interesting for some odd reason :lol:

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

That is definitely a nice machine, good styling. If appears to have the
Heinemann Motor of Quality motor and hardware like so many other "Off-Brand" machines. I have posted pics of my Magnola under the Off Brand Machines topic on here, it was also made in Chicago.

These machines do have character and a little Howard's Restore-A-Finish goes a long way in giving them a nice sprucing up.

It seems so many of the Off-Brands were made in Chicago. I wonder why? I wonder of the "off Brands" cornered the market and cut into alot of the Victor, Columbia & Edison sales? Where these machines more expensive than the Victors, Edison and Columbia's? I just wonder if this was a major market that was far enough from the east coast to set up its own niche?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I think part of it has to do with Chicago being a retail and railroad hub- goods from Chicago could be shipped anywhere rapidly. You could also order cabinets from the furniture factories in Michigan and Wisconsin.

GoCOOGS!
Victor I

Post by GoCOOGS! »

Alright! I have taken photos of it in my living room! Please excuse the Victor record on the turn table, i don't have any Playerphone records. I went over it with a little OE and it looks BEAUTIFUL! What do yall think? Would you believe this is the living room of a 23 year old. ;)
(again sorry for the orientation!)
20130509_215709.jpg
20130509_212942.jpg
20130509_213004.jpg
20130509_220825.jpg