Scary Edison photo

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Scary Edison photo

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Look at the girl dancing to the Edison phonograph. She has two faces! Will listening to my Edison records do this to me? I think I better starting checking myself out in the mirror every time I listen to a cylinder!

eBay Item #360120179527

:?
Rocky

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Scary Edison photo

Post by Brad »

EdisonSquirrel wrote:Look at the girl dancing to the Edison phonograph. She has two faces! Will listening to my Edison records do this to me? I think I better starting checking myself out in the mirror every time I listen to a cylinder!

eBay Item #360120179527

:?
Rocky
Rocky,

Yes it will, though you may want to not risk 7 years bad luck :D
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Ironically, I was going through the old threads on here, and I noticed that this didn’t sell...perhaps the image below was too scary for everyone who encountered it on eBay?

Maybe if you get lucky, the seller will re-list it. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Well one of us did purchase it, 8-) . As far as I know there is nothing wrong with scanning and uploading a clean copy is there? I don't think there's any copyright.

If there's interest I can try to scan a copy. Only problem might be my antique scanner which has some dust inside I cannot remove.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Valecnik wrote:Well one of us did purchase it. 8-)
Ah. I missed that the seller ended the auction early. There goes my joke about it being too scary to sell... :?
Valecnik wrote:As far as I know there is nothing wrong with scanning and uploading a clean copy is there? I don't think there's any copyright.

If there's interest I can try to scan a copy. Only problem might be my antique scanner which has some dust inside I cannot remove.
These photos are old enough that even if they were under copyright at the time, they would not be now. If you have the photo and want to scan it, go for it! :D

I’d mostly posted the image above because I figured it would disappear from eBay soon, and how else would Edison scare people? ;)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Anything prior to 1923 is free from copyright law.

Look at the horn, it's not even connected to the machine!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

See mother, or more likely grandmother in the background behind the post? She looks like one tough cookie does she not?

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Here's a bigger one without the watermark. Just scanned it.
cheers, Bruce
Attachments
boy&girl with edison home phono.jpg

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

gramophoneshane wrote:It looks much better than the ebay version.
I wonder why they decided to hang the horn in that manner?
I've also wondered just how old the photograph is. At first glance I thought maybe 1905-10, but that horn is sure beat up if the horn was then less than 10 yrs old.
I guess the metal horn connection must have been split or something.
I was also wondering about the age of this photograph.

Look at the chair it's on. It is in very bad shape with veneer warp on the back and a crack on the seat part. That chair looks to be turn of the century but its in bad shape like the phonograph horn. The horn is pointed in the wrong direction for play. Even the phonograph looks like it has finish issues. Very strange indeed.

Looks like a slow exposure shot where everyone but the little girl kept still.

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Now here's a scary photo: