New Topic for John M

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

New Topic for John M

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Well it's not really a new topic...just a pic, since things are quiet. Did I post this before? It's total ephemera: a cheap flier for Canadian HMV Victor records that was poked in to your bag of records at the store. I love finding these things. They would have been the first thing tossed into the stove when you got home from shopping. The purpose of the ad is to push the Berliner 216000 series, which was ultimately the reason that Herbert Berliner got pushed out of his company: he started recording his own popular series in Montreal rather than using the Victor stuff. The big kerfuffle came a couple of years after this.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: New Topic for John M

Post by MordEth »

My knowledge of those songs is pretty sad—of the 6, I‘m only familiar with “That Tumble-Down Shack in Athlone”, although I cannot say that I’ve heard the Henri’s Orchestra version.

However, the McCormack version of the song (Victrola [RS BW] 64837) is quite good:

[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgvY3cYG9Y0[/youtubehq]
I have to say, though—if I were going to buy a record, I’d want to know that I was getting their very best style, so I wouldn’t have to worry about their rhythm. :D

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

THREE SPECIAL

“His Master’s Voice” Records

90 CENTS FOR 10-INCH DOUBLE-SIDED

No. 216093

“TAXI”

The one-step you have been waiting for. A sparkling melody played with a joyous swing and by the repeated calls for Taxi! introduced throughout, one can readily picture the night life of the big metropolis.

“That Tumble-Down Shack in Athlone”

A dreamy waltz to this popular song is bound to meet general approval. Both numbers are played by Henri’s Orchestra in their very best style thus rhythm is assured.

No. 216077

“You’d Be Surprised”

Is the title of the new song by Billy Murray and it’s a “corker.” He sings of the fellow who does not show up so well in a crowd, but when he gets you alone, well, you’d be surprised!

“That’s Worth While Waiting For”

On the reverse side is equally as good and sung by the same artist in which he tells of many things worth while waiting for. These are two rattling good songs, and Billy Murray sings them in a manner that leaves nothing to be desired.

No. 216074

“Patches” and “Dardanella”

Fox Trots—Coleman’s Orchestra

Here is a record we have selected as being far above the ordinary. It is not only the dance “hit” of the season; played by an orchestra whose specialty is the playing of dance music, but a musical gem that anyone would be pleased to hear.
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.