Serial # 752110
Years: 1901
Original Cost: $25.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 15" by 11 ½" base
Turntable/Mandrel: both Concert and reg. 2 minute Mandrel
Reproducer/Sound-Box: #4
Motor: 2 Spring with 3 ball Governor
Horn Dimensions: Aluminum Horn
Repro Parts: AB Concert Mandrel for 5" Cylinders, Aluminum Horn (shown in in first two photos.)
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: Highly Nickled Open Works, Key wind Graphophone, capable of playing both concert type and regular two minute cylinder records.

The 5" Mandrel is the telescoping type which will slide in over the 2" regular type Mandrel in order to play the larger Cylinders. Prior to doing this you would adjust the position of the mandrel downward by use of a wing nut adjustment mechanism and then lock it in place. The AB comes up for sale very infrequently. When I found this for sale by a private party in the next town from where I live, it was first one I have ever laid eyes own, outside of the Hazelcorn Columbia Phonograph Companion Volume 1. It was missing the 5" Mandrel to play Concert size cylinders. I secured a nice repro from Jean Paul Agnard in Canada which is pictured on the enclosed digitals.

Last edited by solophoneman on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Featured Phonograph № 11

Post by brianu »

nice... was that one of the more economical machines on which one could play the concert type cylinders? by the way... how long do those play for, compared to the 2 min variety?

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

brianu wrote:by the way... how long do those play for, compared to the 2 min variety?
2 minutes - but the loudness increased.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Yes, both types will play on this Graphophone. Notice that the first two photos feature a 5" Concert Type Cylinder and the last photo features a regular 2 minute cylinder. The two spring motor on the AB is the same type motor that is featured on the Columbia Eagle, also a small open works Key wind graphophone. Funny thing about this AB, when I went to the owners house to see it, she proudly displayed it, not with a phonograph horn but what turned out to be an old Bicycle type horn. That is the way she bought it, had for about 10 years but always thought that horn was original to the machine. The horn actually fit the graphophone and played quite well despite the grotesque mismatch.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Thank you for sharing your Columbia AB with us. Now I can finally get around to making a Columbia section in the Featured Phonograph archives. ;)

If I remember correctly, you also showed this machine at the MOCAPS meeting that I attended, but I didn’t get any pictures of it, although photos can be seen of the similar machine that Jack brought (starting here), along with another of these machines from George Paul’s collection. Also, the nickel horn that you show in your photos is original (whereas the one on Jack’s was a reproduction), correct?

It’s a very nice little machine.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

i always wasnted an AB....

Aaron

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Truly a beautiful AB. It's in fantastic condition, and the original key is an added bonus!(and no doubt a rarity)
It always amazes me that these aren't as common as Edison standards. The combination of the open works motor & the attractive steam pressed oak must have made them as desirable to the original buyers as they are to collectors today. Throw in the 5" mandrel, and you've got the best of both worlds.

Like Aaron, I've always wanted one too :)
Thanks for sharing it with us.

BTW: Did Columbia ever offer an intermediate mandrel with this or any of their other machines, or was that strictly a Pathé thing?

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

MordEth wrote:Thank you for sharing your Columbia AB with us. Now I can finally get around to making a Columbia section in the Featured Phonograph archives. ;)

If I remember correctly, you also showed this machine at the MOCAPS meeting that I attended, but I didn’t get any pictures of it, although photos can be seen of the similar machine that Jack brought (starting here), along with another of these machines from George Paul’s collection. Also, the nickel horn that you show in your photos is original (whereas the one on Jack’s was a reproduction), correct?

It’s a very nice little machine.
Actually it's the other around. Jack's horn is original, and the one you see on my A-B is a very nice repro which I purchased from a well known West Coast Collector.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

solophoneman wrote: Funny thing about this AB, when I went to the owners house to see it, she proudly displayed it, not with a phonograph horn but what turned out to be an old Bicycle type horn. That is the way she bought it, had for about 10 years but always thought that horn was original to the machine. The horn actually fit the graphophone and played quite well despite the grotesque mismatch.
The most bizarre combination I ever bought was described to me as a Columbia playing those "can records" with a swan horn or something like that. I could not decifer at all what the person was talking about so went to have a look. It was an Eagle coupled with an Edison 10 panel cygnet. :lol:

There was some sort of a home made crane contraption with it. Perhaps it could have made some noise but it really could have never worked properly that way.