The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe is Finally OPEN!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:33 pm 
Victor IV
A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs
I've never seen a shoppe like this before, either. Probably the reason is that there isn't enough of a customer base to make it feasible as a 'for profit' enterprise. Fortunately, I am retired with a pension and doing it for fun.

Got an old Davenola working, found enough parts to get a VV-90 up and running, finally figured out what was wrong with a VV-210 and now it works great, and I just finished refurbishing a Mandel that works great and sounds good. Still one more Mandel to go (got the reproducers rebuilt for both of them so far). Then on to the Echophone. I've already rebuilt the reproducer on the Echophone and can hardly wait to see what it's supposed to sound like playing on the Echophone machine.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am 
Victor II
Great video, I wish you luck with your store.
Now that I am in Vancouver, BC., you are fairly close (only 4 hours)so we hope to drop in some time in the future

Brucde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm 
Victor IV
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
Good luck with your endeavor! This was a dream of mine for over a decade, I wanted to open in downtown Valparaiso, Indiana. Repair & Sales of phonographs with fresh coffee, tea and cookies etc. Maybe it will happen someday in my retirement years. I am glad do see someone doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:29 pm 
Victor Monarch
Stop for a visit when in Oregon.
DeeDee and I visited Cliff's shop on our way to an OTAPS meeting this past Saturday. We had a wonderful visit and Cliff's enthusiasm for our hobby was contagious. His small sales area was filled with a range of machines from early cylinder machines to a variety of infrequently seen uprights. Beyond his display area is a storage/workshop that is filled with enough projects to keep him busy and out of trouble for the next several years. More important that selling machines, Cliff will introduce our hobby to his many visitors. Thanks, Jerry Blais

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:47 am 
Victor IV
A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs
Just a follow up-my Shoppe is still open in Castle Rock and I am doing a lot of repair work, I'm up to about 30 hours a week. Mostly I do springs for folks, the pile of new spring retainers in the back room is about a foot high now. I've been able to talk to hundreds of unaware folks about how cool these old phonographs are. Young folks especially who don't even know what records are. They are amazed at the simplicity of the technology. This has turned out to be a whole lot more fun than the 45 odd years I was a 'worker bee'. And I get paid to boot! Life is good.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 am 
Victor II
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
Cliff, those of us that live in the area really appreciate having you here. I spent quite a few years mailing motors or more often avoiding mailing motors that needed to be fixed that were beyond my abilities. Now, when I need spring or motor work I can hop in the car and take things to your shop. I am really glad you are having fun doing it and I for one really appreciate the service you provide.
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm 
Victor II
CONGRATULATIONS----wonderful what retirement can accomplish. Any Emerson phonographs or related items at the shop?
Looking for a Enclosed Horn Table Model and a Louis XV Console, plus Emerson related items. THANKS