Victor Round Speed Adjustment dials

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Victor Round Speed Adjustment dials

Post by Zeppy »

I have a little question about the round Victor Speed dials (I suppose this is a dual technical/general question). I have three machines that use them, a 1913 XVI, and a 1909 VLTA, and XII. I've noticed that on some of them, they have 76 between 70 and 80, and other 78. The XII came with it's motor, so I'm sure that goes with it (there no mistaking that motor either), and it has 76 marked. My XVI, although it didn't come with the motor, and I hunted down the motor separately from the machine, the motor came with its board and hardware, and that motor is pretty unique to that model of XVI, so I'm sure they go together (it has 78 marked). Now for the VTLA, I've had to have a motor board custom built (couldn't find one in oak for my particular model). I'm guessing it would use the dial with 76 since it was contemporaneous to the XII? Can anyone with a VTLA confirm this?

Also, while I know that early "78" varried on what their actually play speed was, I didn't think Victor ever standardly produced 76 rpm records? Any clue why they would mark the dials on the early machines at 76 rpm?

Phonolair
Victor III

Re: Victor Round Speed Adjustment dials

Post by Phonolair »

Very interesting Zeppy, I guess I never paid any attention to that before. From my small sampling it looks like the early machines are marked with a 76 and the later machines are maked with a 78. My VTLA, XII, VI, two V's, and IV are marked with a 76. While two L Door XVI's and a regular XVI is marked 78. Lets see what happens when others respond.

Best Regards, Larry

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

My round-dial VV-XIG (1917) is marked 78. Around the perimeter CW from 78 is the word "slower," and CCW is marked "faster." I've found that each tick mark on the face of the dial is a 1-2 rpm difference. Not sure the increments are linear, though. I've found that the machine can be spot on 78 with the strobe disc, but a particular recording still somewhere "in between" in relation to the assumed pitch standard (a'= 440Hz). If I'm being really fussy, I'll establish the speed/pitch of a recording with the tone generator of a digital tuner (intended for musical instruments). This involves matching the generated pitch to the tonic (key center) of the composition, whether known or assumed. In the case of the latter, for example, pop music and jazz were not usually performed in "far out" keys (more than 3 or 4 flats, i.e., Eb and Ab major, or one or 2 sharps (G and D major).

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The playback hardware underwent changes such as the introduction of new reproducers to reflect advances in the recording process. The label changes on records also reflected these improvements. The switch from 76 to 78 no doubt mirrored a change at the recording studio. The fact that speed controls were offered at all is indicative of the non-standardness of record speeds throughout the spring-wound era. Similarly, the speed control knob on Edison cylinder machines was transitioned from on top of the bedplate to under the bedplate as standard-speed molded cylinders began to prevail after 1902.

My XII is marked '76' as well, with no '78' indicated.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

JohnM wrote:My XII is marked '76' as well, with no '78' indicated.

John M
Is there anyone out there that doesn't own a XII?

The joke on an earlier thread was that everyone had an L door...now I'm starting to think this is true for the XII as well.

That's three out of four of us on this thread!

So which version does everyone have?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

LOL! I have the early plain cabinet version. I'm up on the third floor (lying abed) and the machine is all the way down on the first floor, so I'll edit this post with the s/n tomorrow! OK . . . s/n 2696. John M

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

JohnM wrote:LOL! I have the early plain cabinet version. I'm up on the third floor (lying abed) and the machine is all the way down on the first floor, so I'll edit this post with the s/n tomorrow! OK . . . s/n 2696. John M
Just a touch earlier than mine at 2838

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Mine was originally sold in Canada although it is of American manufacture. It has a Mason & Risch decal in the lid, and there are two brads on the right side of the horizontal board that runs along the back of the cabinet under the lid indicating a dealer plate was once nailed there. I'm not sure if it indicated the dealership of a specific city or was merely redundant to the lid decal . . . the decal lists several major Canadian cities. Any of our Canadian members know (or have a plate for sale)?
John M