New thread - new thoughts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: New thread - new thoughts

Post by epigramophone »

Jerry B. wrote:The radio provided free access to the latest recording. I imagine people enjoyed their phonographs until they could afford a radio. Once the radio was purchased, the phono was moved into the attic. Maybe people didn't get rid of their phonographs for several reasons. Perhaps they believed Edison and thought the radio was a fad. (not likely) A talking machine was always a major investment in discretionary money making it difficult to just throw out, so in the attic they went. We must have lost a great deal of talking machines to the WW-II scrap drives. Can someone post a photo of a phono junk yard? Thanks, Jerry
There is a picture of a wrecking yard for acoustic machines on Page 198 of "Antique Phonograph Gadgets, Gizmos & Gimmicks". Perhaps George P would be able to post a good scan of it.

If he does, get your handkerchiefs out before you view...... :cry:

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

epigramophone wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:The radio provided free access to the latest recording. I imagine people enjoyed their phonographs until they could afford a radio. Once the radio was purchased, the phono was moved into the attic. Maybe people didn't get rid of their phonographs for several reasons. Perhaps they believed Edison and thought the radio was a fad. (not likely) A talking machine was always a major investment in discretionary money making it difficult to just throw out, so in the attic they went. We must have lost a great deal of talking machines to the WW-II scrap drives. Can someone post a photo of a phono junk yard? Thanks, Jerry
There is a picture of a wrecking yard for acoustic machines on Page 198 of "Antique Phonograph Gadgets, Gizmos & Gimmicks". Perhaps George P would be able to post a good scan of it.

If he does, get your handkerchiefs out before you view...... :cry:
Well, I still don't think it's a "wrecking yard," but here's the photo in an earlier thread on the subject:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ood#p41358

As I wrote in this earlier thread, I believe the photo shows cleanup efforts following a flood. Pretty sad all the same... :cry:

George P.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Yes it could be the aftermath of a flood, but if that was the case I would have expected to see an assortment of household goods and furniture. The picture shows a large number of machines and very little else, so perhaps the original caption was correct after all. Who knows?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

epigramophone wrote:Yes it could be the aftermath of a flood, but if that was the case I would have expected to see an assortment of household goods and furniture. The picture shows a large number of machines and very little else, so perhaps the original caption was correct after all. Who knows?
You're right - the basement contents of most homes wouldn't look like this. It's hard to know for sure, but the surroundings don't suggest a home; rather a commercial establishment. I believe the basement of a store was being emptied following a flood. The homogeneous nature of the salvaged material (store stock), the hoses, the washtubs, a scrub brush, and generally wet environment are what influenced my conclusion.

George P.

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

Quite a shame, who knows how many beautiful phonographs have been lost to the sands of time...dust to dust. :cry:
-Mike

tomwil
Victor I

Post by tomwil »

phonogfp wrote:
epigramophone wrote:
Jerry B. wrote: Well, I still don't think it's a "wrecking yard," but here's the photo in an earlier thread on the subject:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ood#p41358

As I wrote in this earlier thread, I believe the photo shows cleanup efforts following a flood. Pretty sad all the same... :cry:
So sad :cry: