Sonora No. 5 Reproducer - Sounds Great!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Sonora No. 5 Reproducer - Sounds Great!

Post by CDBPDX »

A couple months back, I bought a barn full of old spring motor phonographs and have been going through them one at a time getting them up and running. The latest project was a Sonora console with a Sonora No.5 reproducer. It is, I guess, Sonora's version of the Ortho-Phonic type reproducer and when I got the machine running, the sound was almost spectacular!

I've seen earlier Sonora reproducers and can recall seeing the Super Fine No.3 and No.4, plus some without number designations, but this is the first of this model for me. I assume this was the last and best reproducer made by Sonora before conversion to electric cartridges. Anybody know when this was introduced and how long it lasted? I'm thinking it is not very common.

Pictures to follow.

Thanks! Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: Sonora No. 5 Reproducer - Sounds Great!

Post by CDBPDX »

The pictures are attached.
Attachments
tn-600_IMG_0662.JPG
tn-600_IMG_0661.JPG
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Sonora No. 5 Reproducer - Sounds Great!

Post by epigramophone »

Sonora used Paillard motors, and your soundbox (as we call a reproducer in the UK) also looks to be of Paillard origin.

The following pictures show a late 1920's Paillard No.8 as fitted to some of the more expensive Decca machines of the period. The resemblance is clear.

The three redundant screws on the front mask once secured a pot metal disc which served no purpose other than ornament. Many have disintegrated from metal fatigue, as here.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG