Another "Lost Treasure"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
coyote
Victor II

Another "Lost Treasure"

Post by coyote »

Oh, look what's on Craigslist near me! I bet it's worth a fortune. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just PERFECT for April first! :lol: :lol:

Antique Phonograph Paramount Talking Machine - $50 (Carrick, PGH)
Reply to: sale-vc6tf-1100411422@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-31, 9:26AM EDT

It doesn't work. Here's a link to other photos of it: http://picasaweb.google.com/Steph.779/A ... 5elieDsMw#
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1100411422

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Another "Lost Treasure"

Post by gramophoneshane »

At least this one looks like a late teens machine :)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

If that one was near me I'd give it some serious thought- it looks better made than the average off brand machine. Appears to have a large well finished horn and the storage compartment looks interesting (if you can ignore the junk crammed into it.) I like the curious cat in the picture.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Nice machine...looking at the make I see this is a Paramount....... Can it possibly be "THE" prototype we used to hear so much about on another board? LOL! :lol:

RJ 8-)

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

richardh wrote:Nice machine...looking at the make I see this is a Paramount....... Can it possibly be "THE" prototype we used to hear so much about on another board? LOL! :lol:

RJ 8-)
If Only!

Strange thing is, the machine seems to be of higher quality than the usual Paramount recording. Seems similar to Starr / Gennett- fine machines, fairly lousy discs.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

A very nice well built phonograph, even has gold plated parts. Actually the first Paramount I have laid eyes on, outside of that errr, well I won't go into that.

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

estott wrote:If that one was near me I'd give it some serious thought- it looks better made than the average off brand machine. Appears to have a large well finished horn and the storage compartment looks interesting (if you can ignore the junk crammed into it.) I like the curious cat in the picture.
AND ignore that garish red plastic replacement knob. Maybe this is what is drawing the feline attention! (Please, no discussions about pet colorblindness). I inquired about it just now, but since it's been up for three days, I'm probably too late as usual. I'll edit this post and let you know when I hear back, in any case. Good to see that the seller is aware that additional pictures are almost essential for a quick Craigslist sale.

EDIT: Nope, too late, as I suspected. Oh, well.