Featured Phonograph No. 89 - Columbia BGT

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Featured Phonograph No. 89 - Columbia BGT

Post by Valecnik »

Maker: Columbia
Model: BGT "New Sovereign"
Years: Introduced in 1907
Original Cost: $70 with nickel horn, $80 with Symphony Mahogany, $85 with Spruce
Case/Cabinet size:
Turntable/Mandrel Size: 6 ½ inch
Reproducer/Soundbox: #11 or #12 (not sure)
Motor: Quadruple Spring
Horn Dimensions: 21.5 inches long 21 inch diameter
Repro Parts: none
Current Value Mint:
Interesting Facts: see below
Favorite Characteristics: See Below

Two & four minute machine set up to play standard cylinders as well as the six inch Columbia cylinders. A row of oiling tubes accessible on the back side of the bedplate make it possible to oil the machine without lifting the top works up. The Symphony mahogany horn was available from 1909 as well as 2 & 4 minute gearing. Given that this one is identified as a "BGT" stamped on the side of the upper works and on the paper tag under the lid, it probably dates from 1909 or a bit later.
Attachments
Columbia BGT 061.JPG
Columbia BGT 081.JPG
Columbia BGT 091.JPG
Columbia BGT 131.JPG
Columbia BGT 141.JPG
Columbia BGT 181.JPG
Columbia BGT 191.JPG
Columbia BGT 221.JPG
Last edited by Valecnik on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 89 - Columbia BGT

Post by Le0 »

that's one pretty machine, thanks for showing! :D
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I got this machine with the spruce horn however some time back I purchased the symphony mahogany horn from another member here so I could change them from time to time. Not sure which I prefer.

In the second to last picture you can, if you look closely see "BGT" stamped on the upper works.
Attachments
Columbia BGT 361.JPG
Columbia BGT 351.JPG
Colombia BGT 301.JPG
021.JPG
Columbia BGT 201.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

One last picture to show the backside, back bracket drilled right over that nice decal...
Attachments
Columbia BGT 051.JPG

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Valecnik has some beautiful machines! (Judging from his various postings on TMF)

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

That machine is magnificient! As for the horn, well, I like the Spruce Bruce....

Also, I like the Featured Phonograph posts more than most anything on this Forum, thanks for taking the time and effort to do such a nice display. OK, maybe iron the bed sheets before you hang them up next time but other than that, it's great... (just kidding of course)

Steve

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

schweg wrote:That machine is magnificient! As for the horn, well, I like the Spruce Bruce....

Also, I like the Featured Phonograph posts more than most anything on this Forum, thanks for taking the time and effort to do such a nice display. OK, maybe iron the bed sheets before you hang them up next time but other than that, it's great... (just kidding of course)

Steve
Steve, the bed sheet issue became a bit of a standoff. I suggested they should be ironed too. "Others", one in particular, was not terribly supportive and well.... :oops:

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Beautiful machine! I personally prefer the spruce horn, it really makes it pop. Thanks for sharing!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Bruce Spruce, Bruce Spruce.....Spruce Bruce, Spruce Bruce....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. Sounds like a protest chant.... :lol: :lol:. Steve.....we are going to be scrutinizing your sheets...when the time comes..... :o :lol: :lol:.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Just got a similar one as part of a big collection: