Orthophonic on Craigslist

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
scooter
Victor O

Orthophonic on Craigslist

Post by scooter »

Saw this posted today a few miles from me. I'm at my spouse-defined phonograph limit but here it is if anyone is looking for one.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/clt/1101616443.html

solophoneman
Victor II

Re: Orthophonic on Craigslist

Post by solophoneman »

That is a great deal for what looks like a fairly early Four Door model, since it is a still before the Credenza became the 830. Wonder if it has a brass or pot metal reproducer. Somewhat might want to inquire if the printing on the back of it is raised or recessed. If it turns out to be a brass one, someone better grab it at that price.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

From the pictures, this looks like a very nice machine.

Out of curiosity, what exactly does the raised or recessed printing indicate with this machine? According to the Victor-Victrola page, this machine is from before the record support was added, and as solophoneman mentioned, from before it became the 8-30, but I guess there wasn’t a correlation between serial number and the tone arm metal...?

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

Victrola Credenza 1926 Orthophonic - $500 (Lino Lakes)

Reply to: sale-wu6y8-1101616443@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-03-31, 9:53PM CDT

We are selling our Victrola that has been in the family for several years.

It is the Credenza model — serial number 18150.

The motor was refurbished and works great. It comes with many records. We are asking $500.

Information on the Credenza: http://www.gracyk.com/credenza.shtml

If interested you can call or email Mark:

612-201-1609
mbenson@sehinc.com
  • It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Image Image
Image Image

Craigslist PostingID: 1101616443
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

you would need to see a photo of the back side of the reproducer. If the printing is raised, it is made of pot metal, if it is recessed it is BRASS!!! and very highly prized and sot after !!Also the earlier brass reproducers have 7 tear-drop openings in the shell, but Victor soon replaced these with pot metal shells, not because they were cheaper, but because they were found to be more sound neutral. The later shells all have 9 tear-drop openings. Within a year, Victor dealers also stopped referring to the Credenza model by that name and used the Model 8-30 designation. I have seen just the brass reproducers go for big, big, bucks !! So if it has one of those babies, it would be an exceptional deal to pick this machine up, so whoever might want it, find out the specifics and if it is the brass type reproducer and with exceptional looking Credenza, you better jump in your van or small pickup and make a beeline for that baby!!

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Hi All,
Does that not beat all-I have been lokking for 1 of these for 2 years do they show up in Arizona or near by parts of Calf., Nev. or NM. Nah they keep showing up were all of YOU live. And yes I want a brass reproducer on it as well. Condition is really important and the one I found in Az. was in such bad shape that even though I restore art and antique furniture I did not want to take it on. Oh well I am only 62, I can wait...
Abe

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Isn't the opening count on the front ports different in the brass than the pot metal. I think I recall that the brass ones have seven teardrop shaped openings while the pot metal has more? Fortunately my Credenza has the brass one.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

larryh wrote:Isn't the opening count on the front ports different in the brass than the pot metal. I think I recall that the brass ones have seven teardrop shaped openings while the pot metal has more? Fortunately my Credenza has the brass one.
Yes, pot-metal reproducers have 9-openings on the front with raised lettering on the back while gold/brass have 7-openings on the front with indented lettering.

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!