HMV 1A update

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gregbogantz
Victor II

HMV 1A update

Post by gregbogantz »

Hey Moo, how about an update on the progress with your HMV 1A automatic gramophone. Have you got it sorted out yet? And can you post your pictures of it to this forum, please? I went looking for them recently and couldn't find them. I think maybe they got lost when the earlier forum went bust.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: HMV 1A update

Post by MordEth »

Greg,

I was able to track down Mooo’s images, so I’ll go ahead and post them, although he’ll have to update us on the progress with that machine.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

(the small motor can be seen at the back of the photo above)

(above are the resistor banks that Mooo changed from 240V to 110V)

Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

Thanks for finding the pix, David.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Very nice Mooooooo. I don't know much about these. Seems an unlikely find in the US. I hope one of you can give a bit more detailed description. Thanks, Valecnik

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

As far as anyone can tell, this machine is not simply just a rarity, but very probably unique!

And by that, I do mean the only one in the world and not "unique" as it is often misused in countless Ebay descriptions!

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Steve wrote:As far as anyone can tell, this machine is not simply just a rarity, but very probably unique!

And by that, I do mean the only one in the world and not "unique" as it is often misused in countless Ebay descriptions!
Are you serious :o
Is this the ONLY One in the world? O, my. Good thing that a great man owns it then, One that lets the world see it.
Were there any more made, that has been discarded by time, or was this the only one ever, like a prototype?
Searching for The Sound

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

B.B.B wrote:Are you serious
Is this the ONLY One in the world? O, my. Good thing that a great man owns it then, One that lets the world see it.
Were there any more made, that has been discarded by time, or was this the only one ever, like a prototype?
The 1A was a very short lived orthophonic machine with auto mechanism similar to the Victor 10-50 BUT the "standard" 1A was produced in walnut with "florentine bronze" metalwork. Moo's machine is certainly the only known example of a 1A (yet to turn up anywhere or be "catalogued" anyway!) in satinwood or whatever that wood is (?) with gold plated metalwork and that grille design. It was very probably made as a one-off for a very wealthy customer for whom money was no object. It could even have been made for a member of the British Royal family. Sadly, we'll never know.

Steve