How do I play MP3s through the tonearm / horn?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: How do I play MP3s through the tonearm / horn?

Post by brianu »

dean, you got me all excited until I clicked on the link and found the item was SOLD OUT. bah.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

brianu wrote:dean, you got me all excited until I clicked on the link and found the item was SOLD OUT. bah.
Heh, sorry Brian. ...it has a $500 price tag that scares people away as well.

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Problem solved!

Sony-Ericsson cheap cellphone-speakers, an Exhibition mounting flange & some speaker-wire.

If one is willing to sacrifice an Exhibition gasket & glue it to he speaker with good bathroom silicone, it would be absolutely airtight.
Surprisingly, it fits very snugly as is. & it sounds great! much better then in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTSb3vZDgA
Attachments
P4230258 (Small).JPG
P4230257 (Small).JPG
P4230254 (Small).JPG
Searching for The Sound

berntd
Victor Jr

Post by berntd »

Hello,

Thanks fo that. Looks like a possible solution - Great!

Could you please let me know how loud you have to crank the speaker volume for this to work?

How much sound comes from the horn and how much from the speaker directly?

What are these speakers from? I have never seen any cellphone speakers? Make? Model?

Do the speakers need separate power to work ie do they have a built in amplifier?

Kind regards
Bernt

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

I did that once a few years ago with my stand-up machine and is was lot's of fun.
The easiest way should be a speaker of about 2-3" diameter (those from old computers work fine) that would replace the old reproducer. Of course, the tighter, the better.

What I also once tried was a fragile construction that would allow the transmission through the old reproducer and the needle. You would just have to put the device under it like an old record without the use of the turntable, of course.

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Here is a link to an explaining blog-post about the speakers
http://blog.mobiles.co.uk/mobile-phone- ... -speakers/

I got the speakers for free when I bought the phone, over two years ago.

It doesn't take very much volume to get a good sound from the Victrola.
But logically, the more you turn it up, the louder it gets..
At full volume it became a tad to high & blasting, especially with more modern music.

I wrapped the other speaker, not connected to the tonearm, in a t-shirt, so it shouldn't interfere.
And since the gaskets fit so snugly when the speaker was pressed tight against it, there wasn't any audible sound leaking from it,
everything seemed to come out from the Victrola horn.
Searching for The Sound

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

B.B.B wrote:I wrapped the other speaker, not connected to the tonearm, in a t-shirt, so it shouldn't interfere.
And since the gaskets fit so snugly when the speaker was pressed tight against it, there wasn't any audible sound leaking from it,
Well... if you hooked up the other speaker to another Victrola, you could have stereo sound. ;)

I hate to be a sourpus but I don't understand all this... it's still digital sound thru an acoustic horn. Ah well, I guess it's just neat.

berntd
Victor Jr

Post by berntd »

Hello,

Yes, it is very neat.

A buddy og mine used to have parties at his place with themes of 1920/30. We used to play the victrola for a bit and then when it was time for the silent slide show or dinner, he put on the tape through the Edison cabinet machine.
It then played 1920/30 hists all evening without attention, winding and record changing. Sounded exactly like the real deal and we had a great time.

This method also allows one to listen to stuff one does not have on record. Not to mention, it saves the original records.

Kind regards
Bernt

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

phonophan79 wrote:
B.B.B wrote:I wrapped the other speaker, not connected to the tonearm, in a t-shirt, so it shouldn't interfere.
Well... if you hooked up the other speaker to another Victrola, you could have stereo sound. ;)

I hate to be a sourpus but I don't understand all this... it's still digital sound thru an acoustic horn. Ah well, I guess it's just neat.
Nothing to understand here, just a case of stuff-being-done-just-because-it-is-possible-to-do-it.
Searching for The Sound