Who wants a name badge for the Wayne show?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: Who wants a name badge for the Wayne show?

Post by phonophan79 »

I'll take one as well.

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

And me please!

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

Me, too! I'm just speaking for myself here, but I think a large-font username with a smaller-font "real" name (if desired) would work best. What's the design, David? I missed it if you stated it. Just our banner at the top of the name tag would be great.

Coyote
Bill

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

coyote wrote:What's the design, David? I missed it if you stated it. Just our banner at the top of the name tag would be great.
I still haven’t typeset it (which will not take long at all and will probably happen later today/tonight), but the current plan was to do something like:
[-----TMF logo-----]
[avatar] [User name]
[ image] [Real name]
I’d initially looked at formatting it for Avery (#8395) 2⅓" x 3⅜" name badges, but they’re way too expensive from the office supply stores that I’ve priced online (like $22 for 160), whereas several companies (including Avery) make 2-11/32" x 3⅜" name badges (the ones with the border) for like $5 (e.g. the gold border variety from Staples).

Of course, there’s nothing to stop you from printing it on plain paper, either.

And I’d also considered making a without-avatar version, as well as a add-your-own-info version (the latter of which will be linked in this thread) in case anyone wants one last-minute. I have a Microsoft Word document template for the Staples-brand name badges, but I’ll be converting it to PDF as a) it offers better results for distribution and printing, and b) it does not require you to have a copy of Word.

It’s too bad about the border on those—I’d have liked to make the badges the same background color as the board, although I may have to pick up some of those badges and just color inside the border. :D

Still, for something like this, typesetting variants is pretty easy.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Too bad we don't have the budget to go crazy. I'd like badges with one of those plastic strips that reproduces sound when you pull it over a hard edge. I have one from a Ninja Turtle toy and if you run a credit card over it you hear COWABUNGA!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

estott wrote:Too bad we don't have the budget to go crazy.
With more lead time (e.g. maybe the next show) we could do some type of more professional-looking MordEth-prints-them-and-mails-them-to-their-respective-member version. OfficeMax seems to have better prices¹ than Staples, and the ones with clips, pins or lanyards aren’t all that expensive. But it would make sense for those to be purchased centrally and sent out—print your own only makes sense if they’re cheap.
estott wrote:I'd like badges with one of those plastic strips that reproduces sound when you pull it over a hard edge. I have one from a Ninja Turtle toy and if you run a credit card over it you hear COWABUNGA!
I can’t say that I’ve ever seen one. If I could make badges that would play your favorite vintage song, that’d be awesome.

Of course, in a lot of cases, you’d probably have to provide a transfer or get another member to do so. :D

— MordEth

¹ Although they have obnoxious non-board-link-friendly URLs for their search pages, hence the use of TinyURL. Even eBay is better about this. :twisted:
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Well, if George is getting one, I want one too. :D

Yes, a group picture IS in order!

-W

FYI, I will be bringing about 400 Victor 12" red seals, Columbia 12" classical/operatic, and some other misc record goodies. All old store stock. 2nd come, 2nd serve (someone has first dibbs already)
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

David--the proposed design sounds great to me. A template should be easy to modify to add avatar, change fonts for your name(s), etc. I think the "print-your-own" is the best and most cost-effective idea, and should be used for future shows, especially if we'll be buying packs of labels we may never use otherwise. Mailing out name tags for future shows sounds cost-prohibitive, especially regarding postage. Perhaps for future shows, the options could be "print-your-own" or "custom: mailed to you for a small fee."

Thanks again for your help in making the name tags, David!

Bill

richardh

Post by richardh »

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the show and also the group photo - it will be interesting to see the faces of some of the forum members who weren't around last time we did a "show yer face" session :D

RJ 8-)

Edited to correct my lousy typing!!
Last edited by richardh on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'll do my part to make the photos happen! I'll be sure to take pics of the show in general for the board, at least!

Hey Wyatt,
You know I'll take 2nd shot at those records!

Sean