Victor Monarch vs Victor II motors

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Torjazzer
Victor II

Victor Monarch vs Victor II motors

Post by Torjazzer »

The Victor Monarch used a beveled gear motor which was discontinued with the Victor III replacement. What about the Victor II? Did that model employ the new worm gearing?

Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Re: Victor Monarch vs Victor II motors

Post by Le0 »

the Vic. II had a worm gear too
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Thanks, Leo. Extra points for the great pic. 8-)

penman
Victor II

Post by penman »

The Victor M (later III) and Victor E (Later II) pretty much shared the same 2 spring bevel gear motor until the changeover to spiral gearing around 1906. At that time the III retained 2 springs but the II was demoted to a single spring, shown by Leo.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

penman wrote:The Victor M (later III) and Victor E (Later II) pretty much shared the same 2 spring bevel gear motor until the changeover to spiral gearing around 1906. At that time the III retained 2 springs but the II was demoted to a single spring, shown by Leo.
That's another interesting thing I noticed about the Victor II motor in the pic. Certainly the worm screw is an improvement but the single spring is a set-back.
Two more questions:
Were the original bevel-geared motors really that noisy?
Are the single-spring motors noticeably under-powered? My vv-50 (which I think is single-pring) has great torque.

penman
Victor II

Post by penman »

I can only give you my experience. Overall the spiral gear should be quieter, but the bevel gear motors are either noisy, or they are not :lol: :lol: I have a very quiet one and a very noisy one. Seriously, there are at least 2 main types of bevel motor main gears on the motors, the early fiber ones and later open brass gears. How noisy they are depends on several factors, including how worn are the gears, and has the proper backlash on the gear/governor combination been set, and the backlash on the bevel combination. I'm not sure how many people bother to check the governor backlash, but on bevel motors the adjustment can be made using the 2 screws under the turntable that hold one end of the governor assembly. I had a Victor II with that one spring motor and got 2 sides of a 10 inch record with one winding. I usually get at least double that with the 2 spring bevel. Hope that helps.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

My Vic.II has a hard time playing through both sides of a record, I usually have to do a full wind after each side. I thought I read somewhere that the single spring was larger than each of the two springs in the earlier motor, but I'm not sure. My VV-50 just plays one side period. Of course this could be better with new springs, who knows how these were treated the last hundred years.
Andreas

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Always thankful for your advice. This helps me make some decisions.

Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Post by Le0 »

Torjazzer wrote:Always thankful for your advice. This helps me make some decisions.
don't make decisions, buy both! :lol:
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Le0 wrote:
Torjazzer wrote:Always thankful for your advice. This helps me make some decisions.
don't make decisions, buy both! :lol:
Scratching the lottery tickets as we speak!