Experiment; Playing records with your own fingernail!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
B.B.B
Victor I

Experiment; Playing records with your own fingernail!

Post by B.B.B »

Last night I experimented w/ making my own thorn-needles.
Needless to say, I didn’t work at all.

But I did discover something else, very cool IMO.

When I finally accepted the fact, that my homemade cactus needles wouldn’t work, I just stood for a while beside the VV-XI, the turntable kept spinning.
I felt the record with my fingertips, thinking about how small the grooves really are.
Then, fore some unknown reason, I poked my fingernail, sideways on the record.
AND THERE WAS SOUND!
I couldn’t believe it, so I tried again. Yes, sound again, scratchy, but clearly audible sound, protruted from my finger!

After a while, I perfected my nail-playing.

A crucial thing I found out, is that you must have a pretty sharp edge at the side of the nail, like right after you have cut your nails.

You extend your finger (preferably little finger) straight out, w/ your thumb-side up.
Place the very edge on your little finger on the record, I found that it was easiest for me to use my left hand, on the left hand of the spindle.

It really works, & it is really nice to be able to play music, w/ only your body as an instrument.
W/ a little training, I was able to track the grooves for a couple of revelations.

Please, do use a non-valuble record…
Searching for The Sound

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Experiment; Playing records with your own fingernail!

Post by Steve »

Do you need a special "needle cutter" after a few plays or would ordinary nail scissors do? ;)

richardh

Post by richardh »

Now I thought I was the only person to do this! I used to do it as a child with 45's leaning over my parents GEC radiogram fingernail in the groove..and for the best results the knuckle needed to be placed in the ear! :D Never tried it with 78's though....could be a good way of keeping your nails short I suppose :lol:

I also experimented with a rolled up paper horn with a pin as a stylus...again on 45's. Boy my parents would have killed me if they had known...just as well I did it when they were distracted or out! You know there is all this hoo haa about the wrong stylus damaging a vinyl record...well I still have some of those 45s today and despite being played a number of times with a pin, they still sound fine on modern equipment!

RJ 8-)

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

richardh wrote:You know there is all this hoo haa about the wrong stylus damaging a vinyl record...well I still have some of those 45s today and despite being played a number of times with a pin, they still sound fine on modern equipment!
Boy, do you people never throw anything away?! :lol:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

It's when you can play records with certain other body parts that you really have something to worry about! LOL!
John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

NashTwin8
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Learning and having fun!

Post by NashTwin8 »

I used to play records with my fingernail, too. When I was a kid, I noticed that I could see the patterns in the grooves of certain 78s with my naked eye, so I just decided to give it a try. With certain records, the volume was surprisingly loud, but most pretty quiet. I never tried it with anything other than a 78. Those microgrooves didn't look like the end of my nail would fit down into them. I liked to use my index finger the best.

Take care,

Jerry