At what point should you clean it before trying to sell it?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: At what point should you clean it before trying to sell it?

Post by OrthoFan »

scooter wrote:Good Lord, these things are everywhere now. Here's another.
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-rca-victor- ... 240%3A1318

Pardon me if this is a common machine, but I wasn't familiar with it and see three this week...
Scott
According to available information, about 38,000 were produced; SEE: http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-70.htm

These actually do turn up quite often. I've seen about a dozen in person over the past three decades, along with about 50 or more since eBay started up--all in various states of disrepair. As noted, the the major problems involve the pot metal components-- the sound box and the tonearm's back bracket--and for some reason, the finish, which seemed to have a propensity for getting scratched and dinged. (Along that line, I've never seen one with a grille-cloth that wasn't torn, or at least, stained.)

If I were given the choice for a Victor tabletop model from the "Orthophonic era," I'd opt for a VV-1-90 tabletop model -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-90.htm -- which was a true Orthophonic Victrola equipped with a folded horn:

Unfortunately, I've only spotted about a dozen on eBay and one in the flesh that was for sale in the Washington DC area where I lived some 25 years ago. (I've never seen one in the San Francisco area.)

Still, while the 1-70 can't compete with the sound quality of the smaller Orthophonic Victrolas, it does have a nice, mellow tone, with even a hint of bass, providing a properly restored #4 sound box is used.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: At what point should you clean it before trying to sell it?

Post by MordEth »

scooter wrote:Good Lord, these things are everywhere now. Here's another.
Scooter,

The one you found seems like the best deal of the three. Ortho_Fan raised a number of good points, and if I were hunting for a table-top model, I’d probably look for the VV-1-90, also, although the pre-Orthophonic machines can sound quite good with a № 4 Sound-Box.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #280332581906

Vintage RCA Victor Victrola VV-1-70 Phonograph Unusual

Current bid: US $93.99 (3 bids)
Shipping: US $21.00 (UPS Ground)
End time: Apr-17-09 12:45:42 PDT (1 day 12 hours)
Item location: Shippensburg, PA
Seller: valoppe13 (37)

Nice old RCA Victor VV-1-70 windup phonograph...they only made 38,000 of these units, with a serial no. of 16,000 it easily dates it 1928..works great all parts are original and working..as shown original cloth has a few tears...unusual walnut art deco style cabinet with curly maple panels...the top has a few digs and scratches..I’ve sold hundreds of older models, never had this model...

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.