Featured Phonograph #92 - Brunswick 207

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Torjazzer
Victor II

Re: Featured Phonograph #92 - Brunswick 207

Post by Torjazzer »

I like the sound of your home. Do you need a tenant?

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

carylee wrote: My wife and I are finding that antiques in our home help make it more of a home. So much of what we all buy in stores today is "throwaway", and we're not too fond of the styles either. Antiques that worked decades ago and still work today just make us feel good. My wife collects green depression glass. Our house is full of kerosene and oil lamps, that we actually use. Antique kitchen stuff. We've got a 1938 RCA floor model radio in the living room, with electric tuning no less (a work in progress)! The Brunswick Phonograph is there too. We're little by little replacing our furniture with OLDER, antique stuff, instead of newer. So I agree that the value of antiques isn't alway just in the cash money. Of course, that doesn't mean I want to pay through the nose for stuff either! It's good to know that I got a decent deal on the Brunswick (Honestly, I kind of figured I did, considering the condition, and my knack for fixing things on the cheap). What really kind of surprised me is that the machine pictured here was listed on craigslist, with photos, in a fairly large Texas city, for almost 6 weeks before I found it, and my wife just happened to be there on a business trip. It was kismet!
Welcome, and I hope you really enjoy the Brunswick. Your description of appreciating the craftsmanship of days gone by really resonates, and there can be real satisfaction in bringing fine old machines back to life.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Nice Brunswick, although I have a soft spot in my heart for this model. When I was going from high school off to college, I was only permitted to keep one phonograph at my parent's house (although I managed to stash a couple more in their basement under wraps). This model 207, in a bit lighter oak finish and with the oval wooden horn, was the one my Mom deemed the least "ugly" and could be displayed in the upstairs hallway. For a number of years I was very happy with this one machine, and it came with both jewel needles to boot. It sounded pleasant and was well built, just a dandy daily-listening phonograph. Enjoy it!

judyblader
Victor Jr

Post by judyblader »

sir;
i have one of these.... will try to get pics soon... the cabinet is in 'ok' condition, after i cleaned off a white smudge on top..... the hand crank is not turning anything inside....
which leads me to believe that the spring has an issue... wondering how to get into that area of the machine? the front panel over the speaker pops off easily but there is no access there.... have gone around this case with a flashlight without success...
will you please share this info with me?
thanks
judy brown

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Judy, I sent you a PM.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

carylee wrote:My wife collects green depression glass.
Lucky the man whose wife has an inclination towards collectionism. :)

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Torjazzer wrote:I disagree with the claim that investing money in this machine may not make sense from a financial standpoint.
Sometimes I think that people place to much value in the word 'value' itself.
Are you going to sell this machine in the future in the hopes of making profit? Probably not. After bringing the machine up to spec., are you going to derive a lot of pleasure from it? Most definately. And so will future generations who will inherit it. So go ahead and get a replacement arm and grille cloth. This is a hobby with a devotion to preserving machines that have outlive their original owners, not a used car lot.
Here here! Also welcome to the forum. :D
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I totally agree with Torjazzer - we here are restorationist and preservationist and prevent these machines (rare & common) from becoming someone's wet bar or even worse "shabby Chic" ..... We love them and bring them back to life. I personally don't care what they are worth.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Nice Machine! I did work on a Brunswick No. 3 motor before. They are one of the most quiet motors that I have serviced. I cleaned and lubed the springs and replaced a intermediate gear. When I delivered it to the client, she was ecstatic to hear her grandmothers machine play again. Last I seen her at the grocery store she walked up to me (I thought she was going to yell that her machine was broken again), no she actually said its still playing great. I am thinking wow I serviced it in 2008, that is 8 years. How many devices today still last that long on top of being 100 years old.

These Brunswicks are certainly nice machines.