5" Concert Cylinder Playing on AB

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
solophoneman
Victor II

5" Concert Cylinder Playing on AB

Post by solophoneman »

I had a request to post a youtube video of a 5" Concert Cylinder playing on my Columbia AB. The person who requested it had never actually seen one of these Cylinders playing so here it is for anyone who may be interested. The Cylinder is a Paul Morris "Phoenix Brand" Mfg. by Mr. Morris in England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiTBu9x-UA

Aaron
Victor II

Re: 5" Concert Cylinder Playing on AB

Post by Aaron »

solophoneman,

Thanks for making the video!!!!! i requested someone to this for us becuase i have never seen one being played but i forget who i asked...? :?: Maybe it was you i asked? :?: Well any way thanks so much!!!!!!

Aaron

P.S. It sound very good but it might sound even better with a large horn or one with a belled end :D

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Yes I do see your point about the horn. But notice my explanation in the upper right hand corner of the video. I purposely used the smaller horn as the in the confined space that I had, a larger horn was too overpowering for the video due the loudness of that cylinder. When I have time I will move the set up to a much larger room and attach a larger bell horn with a crane. These 5" cylinders produce an amazingly loud sound.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

I wonder if anyone long ago tried to rig a cylinder machine to an Orthophonic horn, to play them back through one of those? And how would it sound if done?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

An exponential horn is sized to the volume of the column of air that the diaphragm/record groove is capable of driving. The Orthophonic concept is a system calculated from the ratio of the needle tip to the stylus bar pivot to the center of the diaphragm (a lever transformer actually) . . . all the way to the volume of the air colum and the rate of taper of the horn. My point is, the size and shape of an exponential horn would have to be calculated to fit the characteristics of a given reproducer . . . one couldn't just connect a Credenza horn to a Columbia 'D' reproducer and expect optimum -- or even good -- results, because they would be a mismatch.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan