The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:21 am 
Offline
Victor I
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:31 am
Posts: 192
I recently bought a Victrola VV-XVI and along with the machine there was an Add-A-Tone reproducer complete with external horn. see attached pic. I would appreciate any info on this reproducer as I have never seen one before.
Gene Jackett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:23 am 
Offline
Victor O
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 am
Posts: 67
Attachment:
Add-A-Tone.jpg
Add-A-Tone.jpg [ 114.84 KiB | Viewed 1795 times ]
Keepin' it real.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 am 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 1403
Rather like the Pixie Grippa type of reproduction , this picture from Howard Hope's web site

I wonder which came first the gramophone or the attachement ?


Image
Image



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:00 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:14 pm
Posts: 1180
Neat - Wish I could stumble across one of these.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:34 pm
Posts: 392
Location: Pittsburgh
It probably acts like a co-axial speaker system. Bass from the larger main horn and treble from the little horn. Takes advantage of the "wasted" sound from the needle bar side of the diaphragm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline
Victor IV
User avatar
Life's Short. Be Happy!
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1045
Location: Beautiful Piney Woods, SE TX.
Looks neat but wonder how much extra weight it adds to the already heavy reproducer? Extra record wear?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:28 am 
Offline
Victor VI
I have good days...this might not be one of them
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 3871
Location: Albany NY
howardpgh wrote:
It probably acts like a co-axial speaker system. Bass from the larger main horn and treble from the little horn. Takes advantage of the "wasted" sound from the needle bar side of the diaphragm.


I really don't think it would work as neatly as that - I'd bet that if anything it amplifies the hiss


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am 
Offline
Victor Monarch Special
User avatar
Who is John Galt?
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 5543
Location: New York's Finger Lakes
estott wrote:
howardpgh wrote:
It probably acts like a co-axial speaker system. Bass from the larger main horn and treble from the little horn. Takes advantage of the "wasted" sound from the needle bar side of the diaphragm.


I really don't think it would work as neatly as that - I'd bet that if anything it amplifies the hiss


Plus the signals from each horn would be out of phase with each other. Still a neat little item, though.

George P.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:56 pm 
Offline
Victor O
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 am
Posts: 99
Location: South Jersey
There is one on ebay (appears yours is in much better condition) now with 4 bids on it @ $175.00 Another sold not too long ago for $265 (again yours appears to be in better condition. I would hang onto it. Nice find.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Add-A-Tone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:32 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 3490
Location: Western Canada
jimmantwo wrote:
There is one on ebay (appears yours is in much better condition) now with 4 bids on it @ $175.00 Another sold not too long ago for $265 (again yours appears to be in better condition. I would hang onto it. Nice find.


The one at $175 only reached $104 before (reserve not met). This time the last three bids are the same bidder....??. Seems a little fishy to me.
Never found the one sold at $265. Was that on Ebay also ??.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], rbuck and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.