Add-A-Tone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ejackett
Victor II

Add-A-Tone

Post by ejackett »

I recently bought a Victrola VV-XVI and along with the machine there was an Add-A-Tone reproducer complete with external horn. see attached pic. I would appreciate any info on this reproducer as I have never seen one before.
Gene Jackett

mf77
Victor O

Re: Add-A-Tone

Post by mf77 »

Add-A-Tone.jpg
Add-A-Tone.jpg (114.84 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
Keepin' it real.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Rather like the Pixie Grippa type of reproduction , this picture from Howard Hope's web site

I wonder which came first the gramophone or the attachement ?

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Neat - Wish I could stumble across one of these.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

It probably acts like a co-axial speaker system. Bass from the larger main horn and treble from the little horn. Takes advantage of the "wasted" sound from the needle bar side of the diaphragm.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Looks neat but wonder how much extra weight it adds to the already heavy reproducer? Extra record wear?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

howardpgh wrote:It probably acts like a co-axial speaker system. Bass from the larger main horn and treble from the little horn. Takes advantage of the "wasted" sound from the needle bar side of the diaphragm.
I really don't think it would work as neatly as that - I'd bet that if anything it amplifies the hiss

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

estott wrote:
howardpgh wrote:It probably acts like a co-axial speaker system. Bass from the larger main horn and treble from the little horn. Takes advantage of the "wasted" sound from the needle bar side of the diaphragm.
I really don't think it would work as neatly as that - I'd bet that if anything it amplifies the hiss
Plus the signals from each horn would be out of phase with each other. Still a neat little item, though.

George P.

jimmantwo
Victor I

Post by jimmantwo »

There is one on ebay (appears yours is in much better condition) now with 4 bids on it @ $175.00 Another sold not too long ago for $265 (again yours appears to be in better condition. I would hang onto it. Nice find.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

jimmantwo wrote:There is one on ebay (appears yours is in much better condition) now with 4 bids on it @ $175.00 Another sold not too long ago for $265 (again yours appears to be in better condition. I would hang onto it. Nice find.
The one at $175 only reached $104 before (reserve not met). This time the last three bids are the same bidder....??. Seems a little fishy to me.
Never found the one sold at $265. Was that on Ebay also ??.